The Rest of the World Report
The Rest of the World Podcast
The Rest of the World Report | May 21, 2026 — Morning Edition
0:00
-13:13

The Rest of the World Report | May 21, 2026 — Morning Edition

The View From Everywhere Else

Weekday morning and evening editions. Saturdays once. Good news on Sundays. All sources labeled.


TWO CLAIMS, ONE STRAIT

The United States and Iran are now making simultaneous and contradictory claims about who controls the Strait of Hormuz — and both claims are being made publicly, to the world, at the same time.

The IRGC Navy announced Wednesday that 26 vessels transited the Strait of Hormuz over the past 24 hours “with permission and in coordination with the IRGC Navy.” Oil tankers, container ships, and commercial vessels from multiple nations completed what Iran described as the “requisite paperwork” and moved through the strait under IRGC guidance. Iran’s Persian Gulf Strait Authority simultaneously published a new map on X marking a controlled maritime zone stretching from Iran’s coast to south of Fujairah in the UAE, a zone Iran says no vessel may transit without IRGC authorization. Some ships have been required to pay hundreds of thousands of dollars in fees to secure passage. Ships linked to Russia and China have passed without paying.

US Central Command insists its blockade is “nearly airtight” and has redirected 90 ships. Both statements cannot be simultaneously accurate. What they describe is a strait being governed by two competing authorities at the same time: the United States Navy enforcing a blockade from the outside, and the IRGC enforcing a toll system from within. Washington Times confirmed that it remains unclear whether the 26 vessels Iran says it coordinated have also successfully avoided the US counterblockade. The two claims are not necessarily in conflict. They may describe different vessels on different routes. But Iran publishing a formal maritime control map and announcing coordinated transits is a direct challenge to the US legal framework for the blockade, made explicitly and publicly.

The stakes of the dispute are not abstract. Brent crude is at $104.30 this morning, down from a high of $111.00 earlier this week as markets process Trump’s Monday strike postponement. The mid-June threshold after which the Aramco CEO says markets will not normalize is now 26 days away. The 2-3 day window Trump granted Gulf allies on Monday — Qatar, Saudi Arabia, and UAE asking for time to close a deal — has now expired without a confirmed agreement. The negotiations continue. So does the competing authority over the most important shipping lane on earth.

🌍 TRANSLATOR’S NOTE: The international maritime community and international press are reading Iran’s published map and coordinated transit announcement as a deliberate escalation of the legal dispute over Hormuz, not just a military contest but a sovereignty claim. Iran is not merely blocking ships. It is asserting the right to permit them, collect fees from them, and publish the zones under its control. The IRGC’s announcement follows a pattern documented since March: Iran has been building a parallel transit governance system that treats the strait as Iranian territorial waters requiring Iranian permission. The US position is that the strait is an international waterway subject to the freedom of navigation. Both positions have legal backing. Neither has produced a resolution. The world’s shipping companies, energy ministers, and foreign ministries are caught between them.

🇺🇸 WHAT AMERICAN READERS NEED TO KNOW: Iran says it coordinated 26 vessels through Hormuz in the past 24 hours. CENTCOM says its blockade redirected 90. Both are claiming control of the same waterway simultaneously. The Gulf window Trump gave allies on Monday has expired. Brent is at $104.30. The mid-June threshold is 26 days away. The negotiations and the competing sovereignty claims are running in parallel, and neither is resolving.

Sources: Al Jazeera (Qatar, state-funded/editorially independent — IRGC 26 vessels, ISNA statement, new maritime map, confirmed this session); Washington Times / AP (US, right-leaning — wire content, CENTCOM 90 redirected, fees, Russia/China passage, uncertainty over overlap, confirmed this session); Times of Israel (Israel, broadly centrist — IRGC X post verbatim, transit details, confirmed this session)


a doctor checking a patient's blood pressure
Photo by Nappy on Unsplash

THE PANEL THAT DECIDES YOUR MAMMOGRAM

On Wednesday, Health and Human Services Secretary Robert F. Kennedy Jr. quietly fired the two top leaders of the US Preventive Services Task Force, the independent panel of medical experts that determines what preventive care Americans can receive at no cost under the Affordable Care Act.

Vice chairs Dr. John Wong and Dr. Esa Davis were dismissed in letters dated May 11, obtained by STAT News. The letters stated the terminations were “administrative in nature and unrelated to your performance or many years of dedicated service.” No performance issue was cited. No cause was given. The USPSTF, created in the 1980s and given its current authority by Congress, is the body whose recommendations determine when health insurance companies must fully cover screenings for breast cancer, colorectal cancer, cervical cancer, depression, high blood pressure, diabetes, and more. It operates as an independent, nonpartisan panel of volunteer clinicians. Or it did. It has not met in more than a year. Half of its 16 seats are now empty.

The firings follow a pattern Kennedy has established across HHS’s independent advisory panels. Last year he removed all members of the CDC’s Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices and replaced them with new members aligned with his views. That reconstituted panel voted to end universal hepatitis B vaccination for newborns, placed restrictions on a combination vaccine protecting against chickenpox alongside measles, mumps and rubella, and took the unprecedented step of not universally recommending Covid-19 vaccinations. Health policy experts have long feared Kennedy’s next target was the USPSTF, specifically its authority to require insurance coverage for routine screenings. AJMC noted that a Supreme Court ruling last year granted Kennedy the authority to hire and fire task force members and disregard their recommendations. The pipeline of what your insurance must cover at no cost is now under the direct control of a man who has called the task force “lackadaisical” and whose previous overhaul of the vaccine advisory panel produced recommendations that contradict decades of public health evidence.

This story landed on the same morning that a second development connected every thread. On Wednesday evening, an Air France flight from Paris Charles de Gaulle to Detroit Metropolitan Airport was diverted to Montreal after CBP identified a passenger from the Democratic Republic of Congo who had boarded “in error.” The passenger was not cleared to enter the US under travel restrictions the CDC issued on May 18 covering Congo, Uganda, and South Sudan due to the Ebola outbreak. CBP did not say whether the passenger was showing symptoms. The flight was held in Montreal, the passenger removed, and the flight then continued to Detroit. The Ebola outbreak in the DRC has now killed more than 139 people with more than 600 suspected cases. A vaccine for the Bundibugyo strain driving the outbreak is months away from human trials. There is no approved treatment.

The CDC that would normally lead the international surveillance and response infrastructure, the CDC whose Global Health Center was eliminated this year, whose budget was cut 54 percent, and whose director was fired, is now issuing mid-air flight diversions to manage an outbreak it no longer has the architecture to prevent at the source. The panel being dismantled to control what preventive screenings your insurance must cover is the same category of independent expert infrastructure whose absence is now redirecting passenger aircraft over the Great Lakes.

🌍 TRANSLATOR’S NOTE: The international health community is tracking both stories, the USPSTF firings and the Ebola flight diversion, as connected symptoms of the same condition. The WHO, which is itself cutting a quarter of its workforce after the US withdrawal, issued its highest alert level for the DRC outbreak on Tuesday. International public health experts have repeatedly noted that the US dismantling of its own health surveillance architecture does not happen in isolation — it degrades the global early-warning system that protects every country. A Paris-to-Detroit flight being diverted mid-air is not a public health crisis. It is a signal that the systems built to prevent one are operating in a degraded state.

🇺🇸 WHAT AMERICAN READERS NEED TO KNOW: Kennedy fired the people who decide what preventive screenings your insurance must cover at no cost. The panel has not met in over a year. Half its seats are empty. On the same day, a flight from Paris to Detroit was diverted mid-air because a passenger from Congo should not have been allowed to board under Ebola travel restrictions issued three days earlier. The CDC that would have caught this earlier in the chain has been cut by 54 percent. These stories share a category: the systematic removal of the expert infrastructure that stands between a public health threat and the American public.

Sources: STAT News (US, health specialist — Wong and Davis dismissal letters, May 11 dates, task force mandate, confirmed this session); CNN / ABC17 (US — Kennedy ACIP precedent, new panel vaccine decisions, Supreme Court authority, confirmed this session); AJMC (health policy — “lackadaisical” quote, managed care impact, AcademyHealth concerns, confirmed this session); CBS News / AP (wire — Air France diversion confirmed, CBP statement, passenger removed Montreal, no symptoms reported, confirmed this session); NBC News (US — 139 deaths, 600+ cases, vaccine months away, no treatment, CDC May 18 travel restrictions, confirmed this session); Fox 2 / CBP (wire — Congo, Uganda, South Sudan restrictions effective May 18, confirmed this session)


THE INDICTMENT THIRTY YEARS IN THE MAKING

On Wednesday, Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche stood at Miami’s Freedom Tower, the building that served as a processing center for Cuban exiles fleeing the Castro regime, and announced that a federal grand jury had indicted former Cuban President Raúl Castro on seven counts including conspiracy to kill US nationals, destruction of aircraft, and four counts of murder.

The indictment concerns the 1996 shootdown of two civilian aircraft operated by Brothers to the Rescue, a Miami-based Cuban exile group that flew humanitarian missions over the Florida Straits to search for migrants fleeing Cuba by sea. Cuban MiG fighters, acting under orders from then-Defense Minister Raúl Castro, shot the planes down in international airspace, killing four people including three US citizens. Federal prosecutors in Miami first drafted an indictment in the 1990s. It was never filed. The grand jury returned the indictment on April 23. Blanche unsealed it Wednesday, Cuban Independence Day, the anniversary of the end of US occupation in 1902, in front of the families of the four men killed thirty years ago.

Raúl Castro is 94 years old. He has not held formal power since 2021. He almost certainly will not appear in a Miami courtroom. CNN noted that the Trump administration’s goal is not prosecution but pressure, establishing the legal pretext for an operation to capture Castro, similar to the US operation in Venezuela that removed former President Nicolás Maduro and installed friendlier leadership. The indictment also names five other former senior Cuban military and government officials. Cuban President Miguel Díaz-Canel denounced it on X. Blanche said: “For the first time in nearly 70 years, senior leadership of the Cuban regime has been charged in this country for acts of violence resulting in the deaths of American citizens.”

Also charged alongside Castro: Lorenzo Alberto Perez-Perez, Emilio José Palacio Blanco, José Fidel Gual Barzaga, Raul Simanca Cardenas, and Luis Raul Gonzalez-Pardo Rodriguez.

The strategic context is the hemisphere. The Trump administration has pursued regime change in Venezuela, imposed severe pressure on Nicaragua, and now indicted the former leader of Cuba. CNN’s analysis noted the White House has “the pretext it needs for an operation to capture Castro,” but with the administration already occupied by the Iran war, “there’s little belief that another military operation is imminent, at least for now.”

🌍 TRANSLATOR’S NOTE: In Latin America, the indictment is being read as a continuation of the Trump administration’s Monroe Doctrine revival, the systematic reassertion of US dominance in the Western Hemisphere. The Cuban exile community in Miami has sought this indictment for thirty years. For Cuba, Venezuela, and Nicaragua, it confirms what their governments have been saying: the US is pursuing regime change across the region, using legal instruments alongside military and economic pressure. Whether the indictment produces any actual accountability for a 94-year-old former leader living in Havana is secondary to its function as a pressure instrument and a political signal to the Cuban exile community in Florida, a community that has been a cornerstone of Republican electoral strategy for decades.

🇺🇸 WHAT AMERICAN READERS NEED TO KNOW: The US just indicted the former president of Cuba for ordering the murder of three American citizens thirty years ago. The man is 94 years old and will almost certainly never face trial. The indictment was announced on Cuban Independence Day, at a site historic to Cuban exiles, by an acting attorney general who is also overseeing the IRS “forever barred” document, the Epstein files decision, and the USPSTF firings. The legal instruments of this administration are doing a great deal of simultaneous work. The Cuba indictment is the hemisphere strategy made explicit.

Sources: NPR / AP (wire — seven counts, four killed including three US citizens, Blanche statement, Freedom Tower ceremony, confirmed this session); ABC7 / AP (wire — grand jury April 23, unsealed Wednesday, six co-defendants named, confirmed this session); CNN (US — regime change pretext, Venezuela comparison, Díaz-Canel response, military action unlikely near-term, confirmed this session); CNN analysis (US — 30-year prosecution history, 1990s draft indictment, Noriega connection, confirmed this session); PBS NewsHour (wire — escalation framing, Cuba pressure campaign context, confirmed this session)


ALSO DEVELOPING — for the curious:

Gaza: The death toll in Gaza has reached 72,769 killed and 172,704 wounded since October 7, 2023, according to the Gaza Health Ministry as of May 18. A peer-reviewed Gaza Mortality Survey published in The Lancet Global Health estimated 75,200 violent deaths through January 2025 alone, suggesting the Ministry figures represent a floor.

Bolivia: President Rodrigo Paz faces a deepening political crisis as widespread protests and blockades leave La Paz under siege less than six months after he took office. Demonstrations have spread across the country over economic grievances and governance concerns.


NUMBERS AT PUBLICATION
🇮🇷 Iran: 3,636+ killed (HRANA floor estimate — FROZEN since April 7; no updated HRANA report this session; Iranian Health Ministry figure as of May 5: 3,468 — methodology differs)
🇱🇧 Lebanon: 3,072 killed since March 2, 700 killed since April 17 “ceasefire,” 9,362 wounded, 1.6 million displaced (Lebanon Health Ministry, as of May 20)
🇮🇶 Iraq: At least 118 killed (Iraqi health authorities — mostly PMF members)
🇮🇱 Israel: At least 19 soldiers killed in Lebanon, 26 killed across all fronts (Al Jazeera tracker, as of May 5)
🌍 Gulf states: At least 28 killed (Al Jazeera live tracker — figure stable, no update this session)
🇺🇸 US military: 15 KIA confirmed (IranWarLive tracker, as of May 12)
🛢️ Brent crude: $104.30/barrel (OilPrice.com, Thursday morning, editor-confirmed)
⛽ US gas: $4.56/gallon national average (AAA, editor-confirmed)

Sourcing note: Iran casualties sourced to HRANA (US-based Human Rights Activists News Agency), a floor estimate. Iranian Health Ministry figure cited separately. Methodology differs; figures should not be treated as directly comparable.


“Whenever the people are well informed, they can be trusted with their own government.” — Thomas Jefferson, 1789

Discussion about this episode

User's avatar

Ready for more?