Weekday morning and evening editions. Saturdays once. Good news on Sundays. All sources labeled.
IRAN RESPONDED. TRUMP CALLED IT UNACCEPTABLE.
The diplomacy moved on Monday, and it did not move toward a deal.
Iran submitted its response to the latest US proposal via mediator Pakistan on Monday. Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baghaei confirmed at a press briefing that Tehran’s response had been “conveyed to the American side through mediator Pakistan.” Iran’s demands, Baghaei said, remain unchanged: the release of frozen assets abroad and the lifting of sanctions. “The points raised are Iranian demands that have been firmly defended by the Iranian negotiating team in every round of negotiations,” he said. An Iranian official told Al Jazeera the response was “realistic and positive” and that Washington’s reply would determine whether negotiations move forward quickly. “The choice now lies with Washington.”
Washington’s choice came quickly. Trump called Iran’s response “unacceptable” and said Iran’s nuclear enrichment rights “cannot be negotiated.” He has signaled he is ready to resume military operations if necessary. The Washington Times confirmed that Washington had sent a revised set of proposals to Tehran after rejecting an earlier Iranian offer, meaning both sides have now rejected each other’s latest positions in a single day.
The backdrop to Monday’s exchange is a one-page memorandum of understanding that CNN confirmed last week, a framework that would declare an end to the conflict and trigger a 30-day negotiating period covering nuclear demands, the unfreezing of Iranian assets, and security in the Strait of Hormuz. Trump told PBS the specific terms include Tehran shipping its enriched uranium stockpile to the United States and pledging not to operate its underground enrichment facilities. Iran has consistently said its right to enrich uranium is non-negotiable. Those two positions have not moved. The one-page document may have already become a dead letter.
The context for that assessment is the full history of this negotiation. Trump set deadlines of March 21, March 23, and April 7 before the ceasefire was announced. The ceasefire has been extended multiple times. The Islamabad talks in April collapsed after 21 hours. The House of Commons Library, in its updated briefing published Monday, notes that Iran is seeking compensation for the war, with one official citing US$270 billion in direct and indirect damages, and that Iranian President Pezeshkian has said reparations are “the only way” to end the conflict. The US has not responded to that demand. Vance has said Iran must “act like a normal country” before it is treated economically like one.
French President Macron publicly called for the strait to be reopened “without delay and without conditions” and invited Iran to join a Franco-British maritime mission to secure shipping lanes, an alternative diplomatic track moving independently of the US-Pakistan-Iran channel and may be the more promising path given Monday’s exchange.
🌍 TRANSLATOR’S NOTE: Outside the US, Monday’s exchange is being read as a further deterioration in negotiations that were already fragile. Al Jazeera’s diplomatic correspondent noted that both sides have used the word “positive” to describe their own positions while rejecting the other’s, a pattern that has characterized every previous round of these talks. Pakistan’s mediators remain engaged and describe the atmosphere as one where “the next few days will be critical.” The international community, particularly Pakistan, which is absorbing significant economic pain from the Hormuz disruption, has a strong interest in preventing a collapse. Whether that pressure is sufficient to bridge a gap between “enrichment is non-negotiable” and “enrichment must end” is the question no diplomatic pressure has yet answered.
🇺🇸 WHAT AMERICAN READERS NEED TO KNOW: Iran delivered its response today. Trump called it unacceptable. Both sides have now rejected each other’s latest proposals in a single day. Brent crude is at $109.30. Gas is $4.52. The Strait has been effectively closed for 79 days. The Aramco CEO said markets will not normalize until 2027 if the disruption continues past mid-June. That deadline is four weeks away. Trump said he is ready to resume military operations. He has said that before too.
Sources: Al Jazeera (Qatar, state-funded/editorially independent — Iran response delivered, Baghaei quote, Iranian official “realistic and positive,” confirmed this session); Washington Times / AP (wire — Trump “unacceptable” reaction, revised US proposals, enrichment sticking point, confirmed this session); House of Commons Library (UK Parliament, non-partisan — $270 billion damages, reparations demand, Vance “normal country” quote, updated Monday, confirmed this session); CNN live blog (US — one-page MOU framework, 30-day window, uranium terms, Macron call, confirmed this session — note: May 6-7 sourcing for MOU framework details)
ONE PERSON A WEEK
In 2024, zero people died in immigration detention centers in California. Between September 2025 and March 2026, six did. That is the finding of the California Department of Justice’s fifth report on conditions inside the state’s ICE detention facilities, released Friday by Attorney General Rob Bonta and described by his office as “cruel, inhumane, and unacceptable.”
The report covers seven facilities active in California in 2025, housing people detained under ICE contracts with three private prison companies. State investigators conducted two-day site visits at each facility, interviewing 194 people from more than 120 countries. What they found was not a system under strain. It was a system that had already failed to meet its own standards before the strain arrived, and then absorbed a 162 percent surge in detainee population without meaningfully increasing staffing or medical capacity.
At the Adelanto ICE Processing Center in San Bernardino County, where four of the six California deaths occurred, the detainee population grew from seven people in 2023 to 1,570 by July 2025. Medical and detention staffing levels did not keep pace. Families of all four deceased allege the facility failed to provide adequate medical care. At the California City Detention Facility, a former state prison converted for federal use, investigators found “crisis-level” medical staffing: one physician for nearly 1,000 detainees. Detainees reported sleeping in extremely cold cells, leaks during rain, and being disciplined for covering air vents with paper or using socks to stay warm. At Otay Mesa in San Diego, inspectors found the facility conducting strip searches of detainees after every non-legal contact visit, the only California facility with such a policy.
The California deaths are not an outlier. They are a fraction. CalMatters, drawing on JAMA data published last month, found that 18 people have died in ICE detention facilities nationally so far this year, roughly one person a week. Since the start of the Trump administration, 48 people have died in detention. The JAMA study found the current death rate is nearly seven times higher than fiscal year 2023 levels. ICE did not respond to requests for comment from the California AG’s office, CalMatters, or KTLA. CoreCivic, which operates two of the California facilities, said its facilities “adhere to federal detention standards.” The federal detention standards are the ones the California AG’s report found the facilities to be failing.
Bonta’s statement framed the cause directly: “The Trump Administration’s mass deportation campaign has led to a shocking increase in detainee populations — and facilities have been alarmingly unprepared to meet this new demand.” The report covers California. The death rate covers the country.
🌍 TRANSLATOR’S NOTE: The California AG report has received significant coverage in US regional and immigration press but almost none internationally, which is itself a signal. In European and international human rights coverage, the conditions described in this report would constitute a significant institutional scandal. The UN Special Rapporteur on the Human Rights of Migrants has previously described US immigration detention as falling below international standards; the latest California data adds specific, inspected, documented evidence to that assessment. The gap between how the United States describes its treatment of detained migrants and what state inspectors find when they visit the facilities is not a new story. The death rate is new.
🇺🇸 WHAT AMERICAN READERS NEED TO KNOW: Six people died in California immigration detention facilities between September 2025 and March 2026. Eighteen have died nationally this year, around one per week. In 2024, zero died in California. The detention population has grown 162 percent since 2023. Medical staffing has not kept pace. The facilities are run by private companies under federal contracts. The federal agency responsible for oversight did not respond to press inquiries. The California Attorney General’s office is the reason any of this is documented at all.
Sources: California AG primary — oag.ca.gov (primary — fifth report, six deaths, 162% surge, Bonta quote, confirmed this session); CalMatters (California — JAMA study, 18 national deaths, 48 since Trump took office, Adelanto population data, confirmed this session); KPBS / AP (wire — Otay Mesa strip search policy, medical care delays, confirmed this session); KTLA (local — California City cold cells, leaks, physician-to-detainee ratio, ICE no response, CoreCivic statement, confirmed this session)
THE OUTBREAK WITH NO TREATMENT
On Monday, the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention confirmed that an American working in the Democratic Republic of Congo has tested positive for Ebola. It is the first confirmed American Ebola case in years. The outbreak it is part of is driven by the Bundibugyo strain, a variant for which there is no approved vaccine and no approved treatment.
The outbreak has infected hundreds of people and is believed to have caused more than 100 deaths, according to the Africa CDC. It is centered in the Ituri province of the DRC, with spread confirmed to neighboring Uganda. International health experts have described conditions as “extremely concerning.” The DRC’s existing health infrastructure is severely strained, the region is remote and difficult to access, and the Bundibugyo strain’s specific characteristics mean that the standard Ebola response toolkit does not fully apply. “This is a major battle which requires enormous resources in order to save all those who can still be saved,” Dr. Patient Mazirane, medical director at the Universelle Clinic in Bunia, told CNN.
The US response, as of Monday, is the CDC deploying resources from its existing in-country offices in the DRC to assist with surveillance, contact tracing, and laboratory testing, with additional support being mobilized from its Atlanta headquarters. The Trump administration also invoked Title 42 to restrict entry from the affected region, despite the CDC’s assessment that the immediate risk to the US public remains low. Three treatment centers are being opened in the affected region by the DRC Health Ministry. Roughly seven metric tons of emergency supplies arrived in Bunia on Sunday: protective equipment, tents, and beds.
What is not available: an approved vaccine specifically for the Bundibugyo strain, and an approved antiviral treatment. The standard Ebola response was built around the Zaire strain, which has both a vaccine and a treatment. Bundibugyo is rarer and has received less research investment. The CDC’s Global Health Center, which coordinated international outbreak response and built the surveillance networks that catch exactly this kind of emergence early, was eliminated in the FY2026 budget cuts. USAID’s health programs, which would have funded on-the-ground response capacity in exactly the kind of remote, under-resourced region where this outbreak is spreading, were cut by 67 percent. The people best positioned to have caught this earlier and responded faster no longer have the infrastructure that made that possible.
International coordination is being ramped up, with WHO deeply involved. But the WHO is itself cutting a quarter of its workforce and facing a $1.9 billion shortfall, driven largely by the US withdrawal completed in January. The American infected in the DRC is receiving care. The system that would have made an American infection less likely has been systematically dismantled.
🌍 TRANSLATOR’S NOTE: International health coverage is tracking this outbreak with alarm proportional to its actual risk profile, which is significant. The Bundibugyo strain’s last major outbreak, in 2007 in Uganda, had a case fatality rate of approximately 25 percent. The absence of an approved vaccine or treatment means outbreak containment depends entirely on isolation, contact tracing, and supportive care, all of which require functioning health infrastructure in affected areas. The DRC has been under sustained health system pressure from years of conflict, previous Ebola outbreaks, mpox, and cholera. The international health community is watching this with the understanding that a poorly contained Bundibugyo outbreak in a region with compromised infrastructure is exactly the scenario that global disease surveillance systems were built to prevent.
🇺🇸 WHAT AMERICAN READERS NEED TO KNOW: An American has tested positive for Ebola in the DRC. The strain has no approved vaccine and no approved treatment. The CDC’s Global Health Center, which coordinated international outbreak response, was eliminated this year. USAID’s health programs were cut by 67 percent. The WHO, which would lead the international response, is cutting a quarter of its workforce. The CDC assesses the immediate US risk as low. The infrastructure that keeps it low has been significantly weakened. These are not unrelated facts.
Sources: CNN (US — American infected confirmed, Bundibugyo strain, no approved vaccine/treatment, Africa CDC 100+ deaths, hundreds infected, Dr. Mazirane quote, DRC health minister response, WHO involvement, confirmed this session); WHO primary (WHO — $1.9 billion shortfall, 2,371 staff cuts, confirmed prior session); AVAC/Health Policy Watch (global health — 67% USAID health cut, CDC Global Health Center elimination, confirmed prior session)
ALSO DEVELOPING — for the curious:
Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth told the Senate Armed Services Committee last week that the administration believes it has “all the authorities necessary” to resume strikes against Iran without seeking congressional approval, even after a formal resumption of hostilities. He told Senator Murkowski directly: “We have all the authorities necessary.” That is not just a claim that the ceasefire pauses the 60-day War Powers clock. It is a claim that even a resumption of attacks would require no further authorization from Congress. ROTWR will give this the full treatment it deserves in a future edition.
Israel coalition: The preliminary vote on Knesset dissolution was expected as early as today. Watch the morning edition for results.
NUMBERS AT PUBLICATION
🇮🇷 Iran: 3,636+ killed (HRANA floor estimate — FROZEN since April 7; no updated HRANA report this session; Iranian Health Ministry figure as of May 5: 3,468 — methodology differs)
🇱🇧 Lebanon: 2,896 killed, 8,824 wounded, 1.6 million displaced (Lebanese Ministry of Public Health, as of May 14)
🇮🇶 Iraq: At least 118 killed (Iraqi health authorities — mostly PMF members)
🇮🇱 Israel: At least 19 soldiers killed in Lebanon, 26 killed across all fronts (Al Jazeera tracker, as of May 5)
🌍 Gulf states: At least 28 killed (Al Jazeera live tracker — figure stable, no update this session)
🇺🇸 US military: 15 KIA confirmed (IranWarLive tracker, as of May 12)
🛢️ Brent crude: $109.30/barrel (OilPrice.com, Monday evening, editor-confirmed)
⛽ US gas: $4.52/gallon national average (AAA, editor-confirmed)
Sourcing note: Iran casualties sourced to HRANA (US-based Human Rights Activists News Agency), a floor estimate. Iranian Health Ministry figure cited separately. Methodology differs; figures should not be treated as directly comparable.
WATCH LIST
🔴 Iran MOU — rejected and counting. Iran delivered its response Monday. Trump called it unacceptable. Both sides have now rejected each other’s latest proposals in a single day. Watch for whether Pakistan’s mediators can bridge the enrichment gap, or whether the one-page MOU is already dead.
🔴 Knesset dissolution — preliminary vote. Expected this week, possibly as early as today. The first of four required votes. Watch for whether Degel HaTorah follows through or Netanyahu finds a last-minute accommodation on the draft exemption law.
🟡 Ebola, DRC. The American case is confirmed. The outbreak is spreading. Watch for WHO situation reports and whether the Bundibugyo strain reaches additional countries. The absence of an approved vaccine makes containment the only tool.
🟡 Hegseth war powers claim. The Defense Secretary told Congress the administration needs no new authorization to resume Iran strikes. Watch for whether any Republican senator — particularly Murkowski, who was in the room, responds formally to that assertion.
“Whenever the people are well informed, they can be trusted with their own government.” — Thomas Jefferson, 1789






