Weekday morning and evening editions. Saturdays once. Good news on Sundays. All sources labeled.
THE FLOTILLA THAT WOULD NOT STOP
On Monday morning, in international waters approximately 70 nautical miles off the coast of Cyprus, Israeli naval forces boarded and seized vessels from the Global Sumud Flotilla for the third time since October 2025. They jammed communications. They came aboard carrying assault rifles. They ordered participants to their hands and knees. Then they took them.
This was not the first time. It was not even the second.
The Global Sumud Flotilla has been attempting to break Israel’s naval blockade of Gaza and deliver humanitarian aid, including food, baby formula, and medical supplies, since August 2025. In October 2025, Israeli forces intercepted its vessels off the coasts of Egypt and Gaza. That interception produced documented allegations of sleep deprivation, denial of drinking water, denial of medical care, and, according to Amnesty International, at least four reported incidents of sexual assault. Those allegations are currently being investigated by prosecutors in Rome, after 36 Italian activists filed formal complaints. On April 29-30, Israeli forces intercepted the flotilla again, near the Greek island of Crete, arresting approximately 175 people. Communications were jammed. Two activists, Saif Abukeshek of Spain and Thiago Ávila of Brazil, were taken to Israel and held without charges. An Israeli court subsequently extended their detention. The UN Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights demanded their immediate release, calling the interception “unlawful” and the activists’ detention without charge a violation of international law.
Monday’s interception was the third wave. More than 50 vessels carrying 426 participants from 39 countries — Ireland, Turkey, Germany, the United States, Argentina, Australia, France, South Africa, the UK, Italy, Canada, Egypt, Pakistan, and more — departed the Turkish port of Marmaris last week for what organisers described as the final stage of a journey to Gaza’s shores. Israeli naval forces intercepted the convoy in international waters, boarding multiple vessels. Among those detained was Dr Margaret Connolly, the sister of Irish President Catherine Connolly. At least 11 of the 15 Irish participants were taken. By Tuesday morning, flotilla organisers confirmed that detained activists, including the Irish citizens, had been transferred to Greek authorities overnight, along with hundreds of others. Abukeshek and Ávila remain in Israeli custody.
Irish President Connolly, who was in London meeting King Charles III when the interception occurred, told reporters she was “very worried” about her sister and “very proud” of her. Taoiseach Micheál Martin formally condemned the interception: “Such interceptions and detentions are wholly unacceptable and must stop.” Turkey’s foreign ministry called it “an act of piracy.” President Erdogan called on the international community to act. The flotilla’s organisers called it “illegal acts of piracy on the high seas.” Israel’s Foreign Ministry said it “will not allow any breach of the lawful naval blockade on Gaza” and that the flotilla was “a provocation serving Hamas.” Israel has maintained its naval blockade of Gaza since 2007.
The pattern across three interceptions is consistent: boarding in international waters hundreds of miles from Gaza’s shores, communications jammed, participants ordered to the ground at gunpoint, transferred to Greek police or held in Israeli prisons, documented abuse, and two activists now held without charges in Israel for weeks. UN independent human rights experts stated that the attacks were “further evidence that Israel is determined to continue its genocidal policy of suffocating the population of Gaza by any means necessary” and demanded the immediate and unconditional release of all detained activists. The flotilla’s response to each interception has been the same: regroup and sail again.
🌍 TRANSLATOR’S NOTE: Outside the United States, the Global Sumud Flotilla’s third interception is being covered as a significant international incident, not primarily because of who was on the boats, but because of where they were stopped. Each successive interception has occurred farther from Gaza’s shores: October off Gaza itself, April off Crete, Monday off Cyprus. The distances are not incidental. They represent Israel projecting its blockade enforcement hundreds of nautical miles into international waters, claiming legal authority over civilian shipping in the open Mediterranean. Turkey has called this piracy. The UN has called it unlawful. Italy is prosecuting it. The Irish government has condemned it. The United States has said nothing.
🇺🇸 WHAT AMERICAN READERS NEED TO KNOW: American citizens were among the 426 participants on Monday’s flotilla. American taxpayers funded the Iron Dome batteries Israel deployed to the UAE. American diplomats brokered the Lebanon ceasefire Israel has violated every day since April 17. And the United States government, which has consistently condemned Russian attacks on civilian shipping in the Black Sea, has issued no statement about Israel intercepting civilian ships carrying humanitarian aid in the Mediterranean. Two activists remain in Israeli custody without charges. The OHCHR has demanded their release. Washington has not.
Sources: Al Jazeera (Qatar, state-funded/editorially independent — Monday interception confirmed, Turkey condemnation, Israel Foreign Ministry statement, October 2025 context, confirmed this session); Washington Post / AP (wire — assault rifles, hands and knees, Marmaris departure, 426 participants, 39 countries, confirmed this session); The Journal / Press Association (Ireland — Dr Connolly video, President Connolly reaction, Taoiseach Martin condemnation, confirmed this session); Irish Times (Ireland, centrist — Irish activists transferred to Greek authorities overnight, confirmed this session); OHCHR primary (UN — unlawful interception, immediate release demand, genocidal policy language, confirmed this session); Amnesty International (international human rights — April interception, abuse allegations, Italian prosecution, confirmed this session)
MARKAVIOUS
On May 6, Markavious Rumph left his grandmother’s home in Eufaula, Alabama. He was 18 years old. He had recently earned his GED. He was planning to attend welding school. His family called him Lil Mark. His father said he was the life of the party and was always going to make you laugh.
He did not come home.
His family reported him missing on May 7. They reached out to the Eufaula Police Department. His mother, Yolanda Wynn, says what happened next was nothing. “I looked for five days for my son with no help from the Eufaula Police Department,” she said through tears. “Me and my family in the rain on Mother’s Day, I walked through those woods.” For five days, Wynn and her family, with community volunteers, organized their own search. They used ATVs, drones, and a hound dog. They walked through wooded areas in Barbour County as rain fell over Mother’s Day weekend. The police, she says, were not there.
On Monday night, Markavious’s father Marcus made a discovery in the woods off White Oak Church Road. His son had been shot, dismembered, and set on fire. “They basically burned my baby, shot my baby, burned him up and chopped him up,” Marcus Rumph said. The state forensic lab has not formally confirmed the identification because of the condition of the remains, but the family says there is no doubt. A black Tahoe seized by police two days after Markavious was reported missing contained a shovel with traces of blood. Police have identified suspects. No one has been arrested. No one has been charged.
Yolanda Wynn has one demand. “They gotta pay. I want everybody that’s involved to pay for my son. Everybody.”
Markavious Rumph was a Black teenager in Eufaula, Alabama, a small city in Barbour County in the southeastern corner of the state with a majority Black population. He is dead. His alleged killers are free. His father found him. This is the same state whose legislature this month reinstated a congressional map a federal court struck down as racially discriminatory. The same state whose attorney general told CNN: “The Alabama in 2026 is not the Alabama of the early 1960s.” Markavious Rumph’s mother walked through the woods in the rain on Mother’s Day looking for her son because the police would not. Anyone with information is asked to contact Eufaula Police at (334) 687-1200.
🇺🇸 WHAT AMERICAN READERS NEED TO KNOW: An 18-year-old Black man was shot, dismembered, and set on fire in Alabama. His mother spent five days searching for him without police help. His alleged killers have been identified and remain free. The state he lived in just reinstated a congressional map that federal courts struck down for diluting Black voting power. These are not separate stories. They are the same story, told in two different registers.
Sources: WSFA / WRBL (local Alabama — mother’s statement, five days no police help, family certain of identification, confirmed this session); NewsNation / WRBL (US — father’s account, discovery details, GED, welding school, suspects identified no arrests, confirmed this session); TheGrio (US, Black-owned media — “they gotta pay” quote, family background, confirmed this session); WTVM (local Alabama — police statement, black Tahoe seizure, cadaver dogs, confirmed this session)
THE MATH THEY DON’T WANT YOU TO DO
Three updates on the Iran war that belong in the same story because they are, at bottom, the same argument about accountability.
What this war costs. The Pentagon told Congress last week the Iran war has cost the United States $29 billion, up from $25 billion in late April and $11.3 billion at Day 6. Defense Secretary Hegseth told lawmakers the munitions situation is “well in hand” and that concerns about stockpile depletion have been “foolishly and unhelpfully overstated.” The Pentagon’s figure, however, excludes the cost of repairing US overseas bases damaged in Iranian attacks, full munitions replacement costs, and any economic impact on American consumers. The Penn Wharton Budget Model estimates the direct cost at $40-95 billion with economic impact reaching $210 billion. Democratic economists and lawmakers put the full consumer cost, factoring in elevated gas prices, food inflation, and supply chain disruption, at between $630 billion and $1 trillion. Representative Ro Khanna of California asked Hegseth directly how much the war would cost Americans in increased gas and food prices over the coming year. Hegseth declined to answer. Harvard Kennedy School professor Linda Bilmes, who estimated in 2008 that the Iraq War would cost $3 trillion when the Bush administration was saying $50 billion, is now tracking the Iran war costs. The Bush administration was wrong by a factor of 60.
What Hegseth told Murkowski. During last week’s Senate Armed Services Committee hearing, Defense Secretary Hegseth told Senator Lisa Murkowski directly: “We have all the authorities necessary,” meaning the administration believes it can resume military strikes against Iran without seeking congressional authorization, even after a formal resumption of hostilities. This is not just a claim that the ceasefire pauses the 60-day War Powers clock. It is a claim that even if the war fully restarts, Congress has no role in authorizing it. The War Powers Resolution of 1973 exists specifically to prevent this. Vice President Vance has previously called it “fundamentally a fake and unconstitutional law.” The Senate has voted against War Powers resolutions more than half a dozen times. It has failed every time by one or two votes. The funding request has not been submitted. Republican senators have privately said that vote, when it comes, will be the real test.
What is happening to the Israeli government. The Knesset dissolution that has been building since last week has not yet produced a vote, but it is now effectively inevitable. Both factions of the ultra-Orthodox United Torah Judaism party, Degel HaTorah and Agudat Yisrael, have confirmed they support dissolution. Netanyahu’s coalition has filed its own competing bill to control the timing. Elections must be held no later than October 27. The trigger, a failure to pass a military service exemption for Haredi yeshiva students, means the government conducting a multi-front war may soon be conducting a re-election campaign simultaneously. Former Israeli Prime Minister Naftali Bennett said at a rally in Tel Aviv that dissolving the Knesset will be “the only good thing this government has done for the people of Israel.”
🇺🇸 WHAT AMERICAN READERS NEED TO KNOW: The Pentagon says the Iran war costs $29 billion. Independent economists say the real number including consumer impact is between $630 billion and $1 trillion. The Defense Secretary declined to answer a direct question about what Americans will pay in gas and food. He also told a senator that Congress has no role in authorizing a resumption of strikes. The Israeli government that is conducting the war alongside the United States is heading toward elections it didn’t ask for, triggered by an internal dispute about who has to serve in the army fighting it. The accountability deficit runs in every direction.
Sources: Al Jazeera (Qatar, state-funded/editorially independent — $29 billion confirmed, Hegseth munitions quotes, Khanna exchange, confirmed this session); Al Jazeera (Qatar, state-funded/editorially independent — $630 billion to $1 trillion estimate, Bilmes Iraq War comparison, Penn Wharton model, confirmed this session); CSIS (non-partisan — munitions depletion, THAAD/Patriot stockpile analysis, confirmed this session); Times of Israel liveblog (Israel, broadly centrist — UTJ both factions confirmed supporting dissolution, Bennett rally quote, October 27 deadline, confirmed this session)
NUMBERS AT PUBLICATION
🇮🇷 Iran: 3,636+ killed (HRANA floor estimate — FROZEN since April 7; no updated HRANA report this session; Iranian Health Ministry figure as of May 5: 3,468 — methodology differs)
🇱🇧 Lebanon: 2,896 killed, 8,824 wounded, 1.6 million displaced (Lebanese Ministry of Public Health, as of May 14)
🇮🇶 Iraq: At least 118 killed (Iraqi health authorities — mostly PMF members)
🇮🇱 Israel: At least 19 soldiers killed in Lebanon, 26 killed across all fronts (Al Jazeera tracker, as of May 5)
🌍 Gulf states: At least 28 killed (Al Jazeera live tracker — figure stable, no update this session)
🇺🇸 US military: 15 KIA confirmed (IranWarLive tracker, as of May 12)
🛢️ Brent crude: $110.40/barrel (OilPrice.com, Tuesday morning, editor-confirmed)
⛽ US gas: $4.53/gallon national average (AAA, editor-confirmed)
Sourcing note: Iran casualties sourced to HRANA (US-based Human Rights Activists News Agency), a floor estimate. Iranian Health Ministry figure cited separately. Methodology differs; figures should not be treated as directly comparable.
“Whenever the people are well informed, they can be trusted with their own government.” — Thomas Jefferson, 1789






