The Rest of the World Report
The Rest of the World Podcast
The Rest of the World Report | August 18, 2026 — Evening Edition
0:00
-13:13

The Rest of the World Report | August 18, 2026 — Evening Edition

The View From Everywhere Else

Weekday morning and evening editions. Saturdays once. Good news on Sundays. All sources labeled.


If you want to help me get RotWR to the rest of the world, please consider sharing across multiple platforms! Thanks!

Share


THE DEPLETED ARSENAL

For one of the only times in years, the United States has no aircraft carrier in the Pacific. The USS George Washington, previously stationed there, has been redirected to relieve the USS Abraham Lincoln in the Middle East, where reports have emerged of mental health and supply strain aboard the long-deployed Lincoln. It is a visible marker of a less visible fact: nearly six months into the war with Iran, the conflict has directly emptied out the stockpiles the US military depends on.

The depletion traces to a specific Iranian tactic, not just the general grind of a long war. Iran adapted its missiles mid-war to suddenly change course in flight, a maneuver designed to force US Patriot batteries to fire interceptors that would otherwise let a predictable trajectory pass. During five days in June, Iran launched waves of drones and missiles at three US bases in Jordan specifically to overwhelm American defenses; a July 17 strike hit a housing unit on one of those bases and killed three US soldiers. A single Iranian barrage on Al Udeid Air Base in Qatar required what the Joint Chiefs chairman called the largest Patriot missile engagement in US military history. The Pentagon now has fewer than 1,700 Patriot interceptors left, and the Army has used up virtually all of its long-range precision missiles, according to a Reuters report. US commanders have started letting some incoming Iranian projectiles fly past US defenses entirely when they’re tracked toward unpopulated areas, conserving interceptors rather than shooting everything down.

The same week this depletion became public, Trump ordered the Pentagon to scale back a specific set of joint military exercises with South Korea, the Ulchi Freedom Shield drills, while praising the leader of the regime most directly arming the country attacking one of America’s own allies. Trump told Fox News he has a “very good relationship” with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un and that North Korea “has been unthreatening and respectful” throughout his presidency. He echoed Pyongyang’s own description of the exercises as sending a “signal that is totally inappropriate and hostile.”

North Korea’s actual record in the Ukraine war undercuts that framing directly. Kyiv says North Korean-made ballistic missiles were used in an August 10 strike on a steel plant in Zaporizhzhia that killed seven people and wounded at least 24. Ukraine estimates North Korea supplied roughly half of all the munitions Russia fired at the front in 2024 and 2025. Ukrainian and Western intelligence believe Pyongyang is preparing to send an additional 30,000 to 50,000 troops to fight alongside Russian forces, on top of roughly 15,000 already deployed since 2024. Kim and Putin spoke by phone this month reaffirming what Kim called their countries’ “militant solidarity.”

🌍 TRANSLATOR’S NOTE: Asia Times, reporting from the region, was blunt about how Trump’s language landed. The outlet wrote that most Ukrainians would strongly dispute Trump’s characterization of North Korea’s conduct during his presidency. That direct rebuttal, measuring Trump’s praise of Kim against North Korea’s actual battlefield role in Ukraine, was largely missing from American wire coverage, which tended to report the South Korea exercise decision and Trump’s Kim comments as a standalone story rather than weighing them against what Pyongyang has actually been doing.

🇺🇸 WHAT AMERICAN READERS NEED TO KNOW: Iran’s own battlefield tactics have driven the depletion of America’s Patriot and long-range missile stockpiles. In the same week that became public, the president scaled back a joint military exercise with South Korea while praising North Korea’s leader, even as North Korean troops and missiles are actively killing people in Ukraine right now.

Sources: The Intercept (US — depleted Patriot/THAAD figures, changed-trajectory missile tactic, US non-intercept policy); CNN (US — CSIS stockpile estimates, Cancian analysis); Jerusalem Post via NYT (US/Israel — Jordan base attack detail, three US soldiers killed, Al Udeid Patriot engagement, Army long-range missile depletion); Al Jazeera (Qatar, state-funded/editorially independent — Trump’s Kim Jong Un quotes, South Korea exercise scale-back); Asia Times (regional — North Korean missile strike on Zaporizhzhia, munitions supply estimate, troop deployment figures, rebuttal of Trump’s characterization); NBC News (US — Kim-Putin call, “militant solidarity” quote)


THE GENERAL AND THE GAP

Hours after Jared Kushner and Benjamin Netanyahu wrapped a four-hour meeting Monday, Trump told Fox News that “Israelis should not be striking in Gaza. Hamas agreed to lay down their weapons.” Israel did not stop. An Israeli strike Tuesday on a cafe near Gaza City’s port killed six people; the IDF said it had targeted a meeting of senior Hamas commanders. That gap, between what the president said publicly and what Israel did within hours, matters more than the meeting that preceded it.

The meeting itself, covered in this space Monday night, produced one new mechanism: Kushner and Netanyahu agreed that Hamas’s promised disarmament should begin with a weapons handover supervised by an American military general, according to a senior Israeli official. Kushner’s broader approach, is to ask Israel for “small steps” that would let both sides test whether Hamas’s commitment is genuine rather than demanding full compliance up front.

The diplomatic pressure on Israel has also grown since Monday. The joint statement condemning Israel’s rejection of the roadmap, which carried two signatories when this space last reported it, now carries eight: the UAE, Qatar, Jordan, Indonesia, Pakistan, Türkiye, Saudi Arabia, and Egypt. Hamas welcomed the expanded statement. Indonesia and Pakistan are the world’s most and fifth-most populous Muslim-majority nations; Türkiye is a NATO member. That is a broader and more diverse bloc than the original two-country statement suggested.

🌍 TRANSLATOR’S NOTE: Israeli coverage of Tuesday’s port strike leaned directly into the contradiction with Trump’s own statement. Times of Israel’s live coverage placed the IDF’s “elite Hamas commanders” justification for the strike immediately alongside Trump’s stop-strikes comment from the same news cycle, without American wire coverage drawing the same direct line between the two. The framing inside Israel treats the strike as evidence Israel will keep operating on its own timeline regardless of what Washington says publicly, a reading that requires holding both stories together rather than covering them separately.

🇺🇸 WHAT AMERICAN READERS NEED TO KNOW: The president told Israel, on camera, to stop bombing Gaza. Israel bombed Gaza and killed six people within hours. An American general is now supposed to help oversee Hamas’s disarmament, but Hamas wants Israel to stop striking and start withdrawing first, while Israel and the US now agree that disarmament has to come before any Israeli pullback. Eight countries, including a NATO ally, are now on record against Israel’s position, with no sign Washington is willing to make that pressure count for anything.

Sources: Al Jazeera (Qatar, state-funded/editorially independent — Trump’s direct quote to Fox News); The Times of Israel (Israel, liveblog — Tuesday port cafe strike, six killed, IDF “elite Hamas commanders” claim); NBC News (US — American general oversight detail, senior Israeli official account); Axios (US — “small steps” framing, Kushner-Netanyahu meeting detail); NPR (US — eight-country statement composition)


A SECOND NIGHT OF ESCALATION

A Russian missile struck the village of Pechenihy in Ukraine’s Kharkiv region early Tuesday, killing at least 10 people and wounding 18 others in what Zelenskyy called a “brutal attack” on a residential area. The strike hit roughly 40 kilometers from the Russian border. Zelenskyy pledged Ukraine would respond.

The response, in effect, was already underway. Ukraine launched 620 drones toward Moscow and the surrounding region overnight, the largest such barrage in two years according to Russian state agency TASS. Moscow Mayor Sergei Sobyanin said 180 to 197 drones were destroyed directly over Moscow Oblast. Russia’s Defense Ministry separately claimed its air defenses destroyed 791 drones nationwide overnight across 15 regions and the Azov and Black Seas; that figure covers the whole country, not just the drones headed for Moscow, so it doesn’t resolve how many of the 620 actually got through. Regional governor Andrei Vorobyov reported three people wounded, including a 10-year-old girl hit by shrapnel. A house burned down in Pavlovsky Posad, and a Wildberries logistics warehouse was hit in the Bogorodsky district; the company said the fire was contained and no goods or staff were lost. Moscow’s airports briefly restricted flights.

Russia responded to the drone campaign not just militarily but diplomatically. The Kremlin threatened the United Kingdom with unspecified “consequences,” alleging British-made drones were used in the deep-strike campaign. The UK Ministry of Defence rejected the claim and said it stands “shoulder to shoulder” with Ukraine.

Al Jazeera correspondent Yulia Shapovalova, reporting from Moscow, said the scale of the attacks marks a genuine strategic shift, not just an escalation in numbers. Active fighting in this war has now lasted longer than the Soviet Union’s participation in World War II.

🌍 TRANSLATOR’S NOTE: Al Jazeera’s Moscow reporting characterized this drone campaign as functionally different from Ukraine’s earlier strikes: aimed at straining Russia’s air defense capacity and internal logistics as a matter of sustained strategy. That framing, war-of-attrition-by-drone, was largely absent from American wire coverage, which tended to pair the two nights’ events as a simple strike-and-counterstrike.

🇺🇸 WHAT AMERICAN READERS NEED TO KNOW: Ten people are dead in Ukraine after Russia’s latest missile strike. Hours later, Ukraine sent the largest drone barrage at Moscow in two years, and Russia is now threatening a NATO member directly over it. Nearly five years into a war already longer than the Soviet Union fought in World War II, both sides are still finding new ways to escalate.

Sources: Al Jazeera (Qatar, state-funded/editorially independent — Sobyanin figures, Zelenskyy quote, Shapovalova analysis, Ukrainian air force intercept figures); Kyiv Independent (Ukraine, editorially independent — 197-drone figure, Russian Defense Ministry’s 791 nationwide claim, Wildberries company statement); AFP via ARY News and RTE (wire — Vorobyov casualty figures, “10-year-old girl” detail); Ukrainska Pravda (Ukraine, editorially independent — timeline detail, Sobyanin Telegram updates, airport restrictions); CBS News (US — Kremlin UK threat, UK MOD response); HNGN (US — Pechenihy casualty figures, Kharkiv governor Syniehubov account); Newsweek (US — TASS “largest in two years” framing)

I will never put the news behind a paywall. If you want to support keeping it free for everyone else, there’s a paid option. That’s all it is.


SYRIA’S AIR FORCE

Israel carried out eight airstrikes on Syria’s Abu al-Duhur military airbase in Idlib province overnight, targeting the runway and storage facilities. No casualties were reported. The base, roughly 43 miles from the Turkish border, has served as a training center for Syria’s new army since Bashar al-Assad’s ouster.

The strikes follow weeks of rising tension over Syria’s efforts to rebuild a functioning air force. Syria conducted its first air exercises since Assad’s fall earlier this month, flying aging Russian-made MiG-21s. Israeli broadcaster Kan reported that Israeli security officials have detected Syria “accelerating” that rebuilding effort, including new pilot recruitment.

Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan has repeatedly warned that continued Israeli strikes destabilize Syria’s fragile transition. Israeli Defense Minister Israel Katz has separately delivered direct warnings to Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan over the same issue.

🇺🇸 WHAT AMERICAN READERS NEED TO KNOW: Israel and Türkiye, both close US partners, are on a collision course over Syria’s future, with Israeli strikes on Syrian military infrastructure now happening as Syria tries to rebuild an actual army under Turkish influence. This is a live regional flashpoint largely absent from American coverage.

Sources: Reuters via Internazionale, Arab News, and Cyprus Mail (international wire — eight-strike confirmation, runway and storage targeting, base history since 2013, training-center use since Assad’s ouster); Jerusalem Post (Israel, centre-right — additional strike detail); The National (UAE — Fidan warnings, Katz-Erdoğan tension); Arab News (Saudi Arabia — Kan broadcaster reporting on Syrian air force rebuilding); Cyprus Mail (Cyprus — MiG-21 exercise detail, pilot recruitment reporting)


THE GAP IN THE TIMELINE

The Mississippi investigation into Nolan Wells’s death is headed to a grand jury. The state’s autopsy is complete, though its findings have not been made public. A newly completed independent review, a 22-page analysis of photos, video, GPS data, and witness accounts, found what investigators are calling a “material gap” in the timeline between Wells’s last confirmed sighting and the boat’s reported departure. The review reaches no conclusion on criminal or civil responsibility.

Wells, 18, died July 4 after a boat trip with high school friends on Mississippi’s Horn Island; the friends were white, and Wells was Black. Three people unconnected to Wells or his family have separately been charged with threatening a judge, a witness, and local officials involved in the investigation. A former FBI agent told NewsNation the public evidence “seems to be an accident,” while cautioning more could still emerge. A complaint filed against Wells’s mother’s nursing license was separately investigated and closed with no action taken.

🇺🇸 WHAT AMERICAN READERS NEED TO KNOW: A grand jury will now decide whether anyone is charged in Wells’s death. The unexplained gap in the timeline is the detail investigators say matters most, and it remains unexplained.

Sources: NewsNation (US — grand jury referral, former FBI agent assessment, autopsy completion); WLOX (US — independent 22-page review detail, “material gap” finding); WLBT (US — nursing board complaint and closure, threats-prosecution background)


“NOBODY FRM MBI HAS CONTACTED US”

The Mississippi Legislative Black Caucus formally demanded Monday that the Mississippi Bureau of Investigation provide “direct, timely and ongoing updates” on its inquiry into the police killing of one-year-old Kohen Wiley. Wiley’s grandmother, Veronica Shanell, says no investigator has contacted the family in the two months since the shooting.

Sergeant Hunter Foster shot and killed Wiley on June 14 during a shoplifting call at a Senatobia, Mississippi, Walmart. Foster, promoted to sergeant two months before the shooting, remains on paid administrative leave; no charges have been filed. Mississippi Today has separately obtained an internal complaint alleging Foster directed a racial slur at a fellow officer just two days before the shooting. An independent forensic review commissioned by the Wiley family ruled the death a homicide and found Wiley was shot from the side of the vehicle, not the front, contradicting the department’s account that officers fired because the car drove toward them.

🇺🇸 WHAT AMERICAN READERS NEED TO KNOW: State lawmakers are now formally demanding answers the family says they’ve never received. Two months after a toddler was shot and killed by police, the officer is still on paid leave, still uncharged, and now faces a separate allegation of racist conduct just days before the shooting.

Sources: Mississippi Today (US — Legislative Black Caucus demand, Foster racial slur complaint, forensic review findings); The Intercept (US — Foster’s employment history, department status); Action News 5 (US — Foster suspension confirmation, community response)

Share The Rest of the World Report


NUMBERS AT PUBLICATION

🇮🇷 Iran: 3,636 killed
🇱🇧 Lebanon: 4,333 killed
🇮🇱 Israel: 1,200+ killed, ~5,400 wounded (includes 472 killed, 3,004 wounded in Gaza)
🇺🇸 US military: 18 killed, 687 wounded
🇵🇸 Gaza: 73,399+ Palestinians killed, 174,310 wounded
🛢️ Brent crude: $91.28/barrel
⛽ US gas: $4.07/gallon

Sources: HRANA (Iran), Lebanon MOPH, INSS (Israel), DCAS (US, disputed — see Aug 4 story), OCHA/Haaretz (Gaza), OilPrice.com, AAA.

“Whenever the people are well informed, they can be trusted with their own government.” — Thomas Jefferson, 1789

Discussion about this episode

User's avatar

Ready for more?