The Rest of the World Report
The Rest of the World Podcast
The Rest of the World Report | August 18, 2026 — Morning Edition
0:00
-9:02

The Rest of the World Report | August 18, 2026 — Morning Edition

The View From Everywhere Else

Weekday morning and evening editions. Saturdays once. Good news on Sundays. All sources labeled.

I will never put the news behind a paywall. If you want to support keeping it free for everyone else, there’s a paid option. That’s all it is.


THE DEADLIEST NIGHT SINCE THE TRUCE

Israeli airstrikes on southern Lebanon killed at least 11 people Saturday, the deadliest single day since a “truce” between Israel and Hezbollah took effect June 20. One strike targeted a home on the edge of Ansar village, killing seven people, including three children, and wounding two. A second strike, on Deir al-Zahrani, killed four and wounded 17.

Israel named two Hezbollah commanders among the dead. Israeli officials described the strikes as targeting Hezbollah military infrastructure and personnel involved in rebuilding the group’s capabilities in the south, the same justification Israel has offered for its strikes throughout the “truce” period. Hezbollah has not publicly confirmed the deaths of the named commanders as of this writing.

The “truce” itself was never a signed agreement between Israel and Hezbollah. US and Qatari mediators announced it around June 19, and Lebanese state media reported an Israeli strike the same day it was announced. A week later, on June 26, Israel and Lebanon’s governments signed a formal framework agreement at the US State Department, laying out a “sequenced process” toward Hezbollah’s disarmament and an eventual Israeli withdrawal from the roughly one-fifth of Lebanese territory it occupies. Hezbollah was not a party to that agreement. Hezbollah chief Naim Qassem called the deal “null and void.” Israeli forces have continued near-daily strikes in the area north of the Litani River, a de facto boundary line where large stretches of southern Lebanon remain under Israeli military control, despite the signed agreement.

Israeli strikes have killed more than 4,300 people in Lebanon since fighting resumed in early March, when Hezbollah fired into Israel in retaliation for the US-Israeli war on Iran. The UN says more than one million people have been displaced from their homes since. Two Israeli soldiers were killed by an explosion in southern Lebanon earlier this month, the first Israeli deaths since the “truce” began.

🇺🇸 What American readers need to know: A “truce” announced in June has not stopped near-daily Israeli strikes in Lebanon, and Saturday’s toll was the worst single day since it began. More than 4,300 people have died in Lebanon this year in a war that started as spillover from the Iran conflict and has continued largely without American attention.

Sources: ABC News via AP (US wire — Ansar and Deir al-Zahrani strike detail, casualty figures); NBC News via AP (US wire — Ansar strike detail, National News Agency confirmation); HNGN (US — Hezbollah commanders named, “deadliest since truce” framing, Israel’s stated justification); The Express Tribune (Pakistan — June 19 mediated truce announcement, US/Qatari mediator role, same-day strike detail); Al Jazeera (Qatar, state-funded/editorially independent — June 26 framework agreement text, “sequenced process” language, Qassem “null and void” quote); CNBC (US — Rubio’s framework agreement announcement, signing detail); Democracy Now (US, discovery only — total 2026 Lebanon death toll, UN displacement figure)


HUNGER AFTER THE QUAKE

Thousands of people on Indonesia’s Flores island were still waiting for food, water, and medicine Monday, two days after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake killed at least 68 people and injured more than 200. The US Geological Survey said the quake struck East Nusa Tenggara province Saturday at 5:58 a.m. local time, at a depth of six miles, roughly 42 miles northwest of the coast. It triggered a brief tsunami warning, later lifted, and nearly 1,000 aftershocks.

More than 1,300 homes were damaged, with nearly 250 destroyed on Flores alone. Roughly 5,000 people have been moved into temporary shelters. Landslides blocked sections of the Trans-Flores Highway, the roughly 435-mile road connecting communities across the mountainous island, slowing aid delivery to the hardest-hit areas. Indonesian authorities declared a 14-day state of emergency and deployed more than 1,800 military and police personnel, supported by aircraft and vessels, to distribute food, water, and clothing.

International aid organizations have begun mobilizing alongside the government response. UNICEF is running an active donation fund to support children and mothers affected by the quake. World Central Kitchen, the food relief group founded by chef José Andrés, is working to provide meals to thousands of affected Indonesians. GlobalGiving is separately raising funds for food packages, clean water, shelter, and health services in the disaster zone.

The disaster overshadowed Indonesia’s 81st Independence Day on Monday. In the village of Reo, the hardest-hit area in Manggarai regency, clothing trader Rasyid Jafar described his home as reduced to rubble. Villager Mariana Tewu said survivors still lack basic cooking equipment. It is Indonesia’s deadliest earthquake since 2022, and for many older residents on Flores, it revived memories of a 1992 earthquake and tsunami that killed roughly 2,500 people on the island.

🇺🇸 What American readers need to know: A major earthquake killed dozens and displaced thousands in Indonesia over the weekend, and international aid coverage of the disaster has been limited in American media even as survivors describe going hungry days later.

Sources: PBS NewsHour via AP (US wire — death toll, emergency declaration, military deployment figures); Al Jazeera (Qatar, state-funded/editorially independent — updated death toll to 68, official Panjaitan confirmation); ABC News via AP (US wire — Jafar and Tewu quotes, home damage figures, Independence Day context); NPR (US — USGS depth and location detail, Trans-Flores Highway landslide detail); TIME (US — UNICEF, World Central Kitchen, and GlobalGiving relief efforts)


THE PRESIDENT’S LAWYER, STILL

Attorney General Todd Blanche declined Sunday to promise the Justice Department will always act independently of the White House, telling NBC’s “Meet the Press” that no attorney general should make that pledge. Blanche was confirmed by the Senate 50-49 on August 8 and sworn in August 10.

Host Kristen Welker asked Blanche directly whether he could commit to independence from Trump. “No, I’m not going to pledge that,” Blanche said, adding that Trump has never asked him to act unethically and never will. Blanche said he would take the president’s views into account on individual prosecution decisions, and agreed the president should have a voice in them.

During his July confirmation hearing, Blanche was asked by Republican Senator John Kennedy whether he was friends with Trump. He called himself Trump’s lawyer before correcting himself to describe the relationship in the past tense. Blanche served as Trump’s personal defense attorney before entering government. His confirmation drew opposition from both Democratic and Republican senators over concerns about DOJ independence.

Since taking over the department, Blanche has defended embattled US Attorney Jeanine Pirro, calling her work strong and arguing she shouldn’t be judged on a single case. He said the administration may ask the Supreme Court to weigh in on its push to obtain voter rolls from states ahead of this November’s elections. Days after his confirmation, he spoke at a Trump rally in support of a Republican gubernatorial candidate, and he previously downplayed concerns about deploying federal agents to polling places while speaking at last year’s Conservative Political Action Conference.

🇺🇸 What American readers need to know: The nation’s top law enforcement official, who used to be the president’s personal lawyer, just said on national television that he won’t promise to keep the Justice Department independent of the White House. He said the president should have a voice in individual prosecutions.

Sources: CNN (US — full Welker exchange, Pirro defense, voter rolls detail); The Hill (US — confirmation vote and swearing-in dates); Axios (US — “why it matters” framing, Trump’s remade DOJ context); CBS News via ms.now (US — direct quotes on independence pledge, DOJ policy backlash reference); Common Dreams (US, left-leaning — Kennedy confirmation-hearing exchange, CPAC and rally detail)


primary ballot for Bay County, Florida
Yep, I voted.

MIDTERM WATCH, August 18, 2026

Florida, Alaska, and Wyoming are voting today, and Florida is the one that matters most for the House. This is the state’s first primary under Governor DeSantis’s new congressional map, signed into law in May after a special legislative session he called specifically to redraw it. The map is expected to produce a 24-4 Republican advantage out of 28 seats. It’s facing a legal challenge. It’s being used anyway, today, while that challenge is still pending. That sequence is worth sitting with: draw the map, get sued over the map, hold the election under the map before the lawsuit resolves. If the map is eventually struck down, the seats elected under it will have already served.

Florida’s governor’s race is also a genuine Trump-DeSantis proxy fight, not a footnote. Trump-endorsed Byron Donalds holds a commanding financial and polling lead in the Republican primary. DeSantis has pointedly not endorsed his own lieutenant governor, Jay Collins, who is running as the candidate protecting “the DeSantis legacy.” A third candidate, James Fishback, backed by Tucker Carlson and Nick Fuentes, has spent the campaign lobbing racist attacks at Donalds. Former Republican Congressman David Jolly is the Democratic frontrunner. Florida also holds a special primary today to fill out the remainder of Marco Rubio’s Senate term, where Trump-appointed incumbent Ashley Moody and Democrat Alexander Vindman are both expected to advance without much drama.

The map itself is worth putting numbers to. Cook Political Report’s own partisan index shows the median House seat nationally sitting at R+3, two points redder than before this cycle’s redistricting fights, with ten states having redrawn their lines. Florida’s new map is one of the starkest examples of exactly that pattern in action, and today is the day it gets tested for the first time.

I’ll have primary results for you tomorrow morning. For now: watch Florida’s governor’s race for what it says about whether Trump or DeSantis controls the state party heading into November, and watch the congressional primaries for the first real read on how competitive the new map actually turns out to be in practice, not just on paper.

11 Tuesdays remaining.

NUMBERS AT PUBLICATION

🇮🇷 Iran: 3,636 killed
🇱🇧 Lebanon: 4,333 killed
🇮🇱 Israel: 1,200+ killed, ~5,400 wounded (includes 472 killed, 3,004 wounded in Gaza)
🇺🇸 US military: 18 killed, 687 wounded
🇵🇸 Gaza: 73,399+ Palestinians killed, 174,310 wounded
🛢️ Brent crude: $91.01/barrel
⛽ US gas: $4.07/gallon Sources: HRANA (Iran), Lebanon MOPH, INSS (Israel), DCAS (US, disputed — see Aug 4 story), OCHA/Haaretz (Gaza), OilPrice.com, AAA.

“Whenever the people are well informed, they can be trusted with their own government.” — Thomas Jefferson, 1789

If you want to help me get RotWR to the rest of the world, please consider sharing across multiple platforms! Thanks!

Share

Discussion about this episode

User's avatar

Ready for more?