Weekday morning and evening editions. Saturdays once. Good news on Sundays. All sources labeled.
THE DIVERGENCE
Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Gen. Dan Caine has spent the past several weeks privately telling senior Trump administration officials the United States needs to find an off-ramp from the war with Iran, according to CNN, citing three sources familiar with the matter. Caine raised the issue directly with Secretary of State Marco Rubio, CIA Director John Ratcliffe, and Vice President JD Vance. His concern, the sources said, is that available military options are unlikely to force Tehran to meet US demands. Further escalation risks a wider war.
Caine told Trump the US “could absolutely wreck them” if ordered to escalate, despite his own reservations. His office did not deny the account when CNN asked for comment. It said only that the Pentagon does not discuss the chairman’s confidential conversations with senior leaders.
Depleted US weapons stockpiles are part of what’s driving the search for an exit. ROTWR reported this morning on the Pentagon’s own memo urging contractors to accelerate production and on the Patriot interceptor shortfall. Senior military commanders now believe some inventories are “dangerously low,” CNN reported. Gulf allies have separately raised the same concern with US officials.
Israeli commentary is reading the story differently than Washington is. Ynetnews, one of Israel’s most-read outlets, framed Caine’s comments as confirmation that Israel has been sidelined from the latest round of US decision-making on Iran. The United States struck Iran on consecutive nights this month while Israel remained outside the campaign, the outlet noted. A separate Ynetnews opinion column went further, invoking Caine’s comments directly to ask why Israel’s own military chief of staff has not said the same thing. The column pointed to the toll on Israeli troops fighting a separate front in Lebanon. Forty soldiers have been killed in the current round of fighting there, including two reservists killed last week.
That divergence may be more than rhetorical. Israel has canceled military leave and authorized operations targeting senior Iranian government and IRGC figures, Israeli broadcaster Channel 13 reported. The Israel Defense Forces told US Central Command’s Admiral Brad Cooper directly that Israel does not require American approval or support to launch another war against Iran. “We are currently making preparations to start the war,” the IDF told Cooper. The last time Israel canceled military leave this way was February 26, two days before it launched strikes on a compound linked to Iran’s Supreme Leader.
Whether Washington’s search for an exit and Israel’s apparent preparations for one more operation are heading toward the same outcome is now the open question hanging over both governments.
🌍 TRANSLATOR’S NOTE: Israeli outlets are not covering this as a story about Washington’s internal deliberations. Ynetnews framed it as evidence that Israel is being left out of decisions that directly affect its own security. A Ynetnews opinion piece used Caine’s comments as a rhetorical weapon against Israel’s own military and political leadership for staying silent. That framing, of Israel as a junior partner watching Washington set the terms of a war fought partly on Israel’s behalf, does not appear in US coverage of the Caine story at all.
🇺🇸 WHAT AMERICAN READERS NEED TO KNOW: The chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff is privately telling the president’s own inner circle the war needs to end. The ally the war is partly meant to protect is preparing to keep fighting without Washington’s blessing, according to Israeli reporting. That is not a hypothetical scenario. It is happening now, and most Americans have not been told that Israel and the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs may not agree on how this ends.
Sources: CNN (US — Caine off-ramp report, Rubio/Ratcliffe/Vance briefings, “dangerously low” stockpile assessment, Pentagon non-denial); Times of Israel (Israel, right-centre — Caine’s “wreck them” remark); Ynetnews (Israel — sidelined framing, soldier deaths, military leave precedent); Ynetnews opinion (Israel — opinion column); Outlook India, citing Israeli Channel 13 (India — military leave cancellation, CENTCOM exchange)
THE COMPENSATION FIGHT
President Trump said Monday the United States will demand compensation from Iran for people he says Tehran has killed in wars, attacks, and government crackdowns going back five decades, according to Reuters. Trump wrote on Truth Social that he is “demanding compensation from Iran, for all of the people that they have killed.” He said the demand includes the 2000 bombing of the USS Cole, protesters killed by Iran’s government over the past 50 years, and what he called 52,000 deaths in the last five months of war.
Trump’s demand came hours after Iran’s Foreign Ministry spokesperson, Esmail Baghaei, held his weekly press briefing in Tehran. Baghaei said talks with Oman over new shipping lanes through the Strait of Hormuz were “progressing smoothly and constructively,” with a route map already agreed. He said the US has no standing to complain about the closed strait while it continues blockading Iranian ports. “You reap what you sow,” he said.
The Oman arrangement is narrower than it may sound. It sets up two shipping lanes through the strait: an inbound lane through Iranian waters, which Iran alone would manage, and an outbound lane near Oman’s coast, which the two countries would administer jointly. That’s a real shift. Commercial traffic ran almost entirely through Omani waters before the war. But a finalized Iran-Oman deal would not reopen the strait by itself. Iran says that still depends on separate US concessions, including lifting the naval blockade.
Not everyone in Tehran is playing along with talk of imminent progress. Iranian government spokesperson Ebrahim Zolfaqari mocked the idea that real negotiations are underway, saying “the level of your inner struggle reached the stage of negotiating with yourself.” Iran’s foreign minister, Abbas Araghchi, said Sunday there is “no possibility” of resuming talks until the US compensates Iran for violating the original memorandum of understanding.
Iran’s Supreme Leader, Mojtaba Khamenei, used Monday to reinforce his own military leadership. He issued decrees appointing six senior commanders across the General Staff, the Revolutionary Guards, and the Basij militia. ROTWR reported this morning on one of those appointments, Mohsen Rezaee’s elevation to head the Supreme National Security Council. The new chief of staff of Iran’s armed forces is Major General Ali Abdollahi, previously head of the Guards’ inter-branch command.
Markets reacted immediately. Brent crude jumped 4.25% within hours of Trump’s compensation post, before easing later in the day. As of this evening, Brent stood at $87.87 a barrel, up from $84.48 this morning.
🌍 TRANSLATOR’S NOTE: Al Jazeera and Time both led with the same detail American wire coverage treated as secondary: Iran’s own spokesperson mocking the idea that Washington is negotiating in good faith. Middle Eastern outlets are largely reading today’s exchange not as progress but as both sides hardening positions right as the Oman shipping arrangement showed the first real sign of technical progress in months. That contrast, real logistical progress on one narrow track alongside maximalist rhetoric on the broader one, is the story as the region is reading it.
🇺🇸 WHAT AMERICAN READERS NEED TO KNOW: Both governments are now publicly demanding money from each other as a precondition for ending a war that has kept oil prices elevated and a fifth of the world’s oil shipments blocked for over five months. Trump’s new demand was not part of any previous negotiation, by his own account. Every day this standoff continues costs Americans at the pump and complicates any deal that gets the strait reopened.
Sources: Reuters, via AOL (international wire — Trump’s Truth Social quote, Brent market reaction); Al-Monitor (Middle East specialist — Baghaei’s “progressing smoothly” remark); Time (US — Baghaei’s “reap what you sow” quote); Al Jazeera (Qatar, state-funded/editorially independent — Zolfaqari quote, Khamenei’s six-commander decree); Al Jazeera (shipping-lane mechanics); CNN (US — shipping-lane mechanics, departure from prior Omani-only routing); CBS News (US — Araghchi quote)
MOKHA UNDER FIRE
Yemen’s Houthi forces launched a new wave of missile and drone strikes on the Red Sea port city of Mokha Sunday evening, killing at least seven people less than 24 hours after an earlier barrage killed at least 11, according to Al Jazeera. Yemen’s armed forces said four military personnel and three civilians died in the latest attack, with 30 more wounded, most of them civilians.
Yemeni air defenses intercepted and destroyed 11 Houthi drones involved in the attack, the military said. The Houthis said the operation involved a large number of ballistic missiles and drones.
Houthi military spokesman Yahya Saree said the strikes were launched in response to what the group called a continued Saudi military buildup in Mokha and Taiz province, and to the “unjust siege” of Yemen by Saudi Arabia. Houthi political council member Hizam al-Assad said the explosions and fires seen at the port came from large quantities of weapons and military equipment stored there.
The Houthis separately claimed an earlier drone strike on a Saudi Aramco oil processing facility in Abqaiq, Saudi Arabia, according to Euronews. The attack triggered visible smoke from the facility on July 27. It marked a return to targeting Saudi energy infrastructure directly, a tactic largely dormant since the 2022 truce.
UN Special Envoy for Yemen Hans Grundberg said Monday he was “deeply concerned by the recent attacks” on Mokha, which he said have put civilians in Marib and beyond at grave risk. He called it the most significant intensification of military activity since the 2022 UN-brokered truce, and urged all parties to exercise restraint.
Local authorities in Taiz governorate condemned the attack as what they called “a full-fledged war crime,” saying it targeted the port’s dredger, fuel stations, and storage tanks essential to commercial and relief activity, according to Yemen Monitor.
The Mokha strikes follow the deadliest fighting Yemen’s civil war has seen in years. Houthi missile attacks on Yemeni military camps in Hadramout and Marib governorates killed at least 30 government soldiers and injured 15 others last Thursday. The escalation is unfolding alongside, and largely overshadowed by, the wider Hormuz standoff a few hundred miles to the north.
🌍 TRANSLATOR’S NOTE: Al Jazeera and Al Arabiya, reporting from the region, are treating this as a distinct and serious crisis in its own right, not a footnote to the Iran war. The UN envoy’s own language, the most significant intensification since the 2022 truce, is being carried as the lead by Gulf and Yemeni outlets. American coverage of the broader Middle East this week has been almost entirely consumed by Iran and Gaza, leaving a truce collapse that Yemen’s own government and the United Nations are treating as urgent with almost no visibility in the US.
🇺🇸 WHAT AMERICAN READERS NEED TO KNOW: A years-long truce in one of the world’s worst humanitarian crises is unraveling in real time, with dozens killed in the span of days. It is happening in the same waterways the US is trying to secure for oil shipping, a few hundred miles from the strait Washington is negotiating to reopen. If Yemen’s civil war returns to full-scale fighting, it complicates every other piece of the regional picture this edition has covered tonight.
Sources: Al Jazeera (Qatar, state-funded/editorially independent — casualty figures, Saree quote); Al Jazeera (Hadramout/Marib context); Al Arabiya (UAE — Grundberg quote); Euronews (Europe — Aramco refinery strike); Yemen Monitor (Yemen — Taiz Authority “war crime” quote)
I will never put the news behind a paywall. If you want to support keeping it free for everyone else, there’s a paid option. That’s all it is.
WATCH LIST — Whether Israel’s canceled military leave and CENTCOM exchange translate into unilateral strikes on Iran in the coming days. — Whether the Oman shipping-lane arrangement produces an actual reopening date for the Strait of Hormuz, or stalls on the blockade question. — Whether Yemen’s UN-brokered truce formally collapses, or whether Grundberg’s call for restraint holds.
NUMBERS AT PUBLICATION
🇮🇷 Iran: 3,636 killed
🇱🇧 Lebanon: 4,333 killed
🇮🇱 Israel: 1,200+ killed, ~5,400 wounded (includes 472 killed, 3,004 wounded in Gaza)
🇺🇸 US military: 18 killed, 687 wounded
🇵🇸 Gaza: 73,381+ Palestinians killed, 174,231 wounded
🛢️ Brent crude: $87.87/barrel
⛽ US gas: $4.01/gallon
Sources: HRANA (Iran), Lebanon MOPH, INSS (Israel), DCAS (US, disputed — see Aug 4 story), OCHA (Gaza), OilPrice.com, AAA.
“Whenever the people are well informed, they can be trusted with their own government.” — Thomas Jefferson, 1789



