Weekday morning and evening editions. Saturdays once. Good news on Sundays. All sources labeled.
I will never put the news behind a paywall. If you want to support keeping it free for everyone else, there’s a paid option. That’s all it is.
ISRAEL REJECTS THE 15-POINT PLAN
“Israel rejects the 15-point document,” Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu told his cabinet Sunday, according to CBS News. The document is the Gaza plan the Trump administration announced last month. Netanyahu said the Israeli military will not carry out any withdrawal until Hamas is genuinely disarmed.
The 15-point plan came from the US-backed Board of Peace. Trump credited the group with negotiating what he called a historic agreement for the disarmament of Hamas and other armed groups in Gaza. Netanyahu, addressing broader criticism of Israel’s military conduct, said Israel does “what must be done for Israel’s security,” according to CNN. The Times of Israel reported that he also called off a small IDF pullout from three areas near Rafah, a withdrawal he had personally approved days earlier.
Board of Peace envoy Nickolay Mladenov pushed back hours after Netanyahu’s rejection aired. In a Channel 12 interview, Mladenov said full implementation of the plan is Israel’s only “guarantee” against a repeat of the October 7, 2023, attacks, according to the Times of Israel. He said the process is not built on trust, and that Israel would not be required to act before weapons are verifiably decommissioned.
Hamas said it remains committed to the roadmap. A senior official from the group’s political bureau, Bassem Naim, said the group expects mediators and the United States to push Netanyahu toward compliance, according to wire reporting carried by WSB-TV. Palestinian Islamic Jihad, the Strip’s other major armed faction, has also agreed to the disarmament terms, Arab media outlets reported August 2, citing unnamed sources. The group itself has not confirmed the report.
Israeli forces now control up to 70% of the Gaza Strip, up from the 53% they held under the October 2025 ceasefire line, according to the Jerusalem Post. The White House dismissed Netanyahu’s rejection as campaign rhetoric ahead of Israel’s October 27 election, the Times of Israel reported. Netanyahu said discussions with Washington on the plan’s terms are ongoing.
🇺🇸 What American readers need to know: The rejected plan was the Trump administration’s own diplomatic proposal, credited publicly to the president. Israel’s prime minister just rejected it outright, on the record, while the plan’s own envoy was on Israeli television within hours trying to sell it. The White House has dismissed the rejection as campaign politics ahead of Israel’s October election.
Sources: CBS News (US — Netanyahu’s cabinet remarks, 15-point plan rejection); CNN (US — Netanyahu’s “best friends” remarks); Times of Israel (Israel, right-centre — Mladenov’s Channel 12 interview, halted IDF pullout, Palestinian Islamic Jihad report, election context); AP wire via WSB-TV (US — Hamas political bureau response); Jerusalem Post (Israel, centre-right — territorial control figure); Al Jazeera (Qatar, state-funded/editorially independent — October 27 election date, corroborating)
THE HORMUZ EXIT
President Trump has told senior aides he is willing to end the war with Iran without a nuclear deal if Iran fully reopens the Strait of Hormuz, according to the Wall Street Journal. The Journal’s reporting was cited by multiple outlets Sunday. It described Trump laying the groundwork to declare victory in the conflict, even without new restrictions on Iran’s nuclear program.
A White House official told the Journal the United States has “completed all of its military objectives against Iran.” The administration’s remaining focus, the official said, is reopening Hormuz, the waterway that carried roughly a fifth of the world’s commercial oil shipments before the war began. Officials said Trump is likely to extend the ceasefire indefinitely if shipping resumes and Iran’s nuclear program shows no advancement. He would also lift the US naval blockade on Iranian ports.
Iran has raised its own conditions. The Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps said Sunday it will not reopen the strait until Washington meets Tehran’s demands. Those demands include compensation for war damages, a US troop withdrawal from the region, and an end to the naval blockade.
The IRGC’s position reflects a broader shift inside Iran’s security establishment. Mohsen Rezaee, a former IRGC commander who led the Revolutionary Guards from 1981 to 1997, was named this month to head Iran’s Supreme National Security Council. He said last month the strait is “more important than dozens of atomic bombs,” according to Arab News. His predecessor in the role, also a veteran Guards commander, was moved into a position advising Khamenei directly.
The war is also straining US military supply lines. The Pentagon told defense contractors in July they had 21 days to submit plans for faster weapons production, according to a memo reported by the Washington Post. “Years-long development cycles are not acceptable,” Deputy Defense Secretary Steve Feinberg wrote, according to the Jerusalem Post. The memo came after the war drained much of the US stockpile of Patriot interceptors. The count fell from 2,330 before the war to 1,030 by the April ceasefire, according to CNBC, citing a Center for Strategic and International Studies estimate.
Monday, Trump said Washington is only “low-keying it” with Tehran and will wait for economic pressure to build, according to Al Jazeera’s live coverage. Iran’s foreign minister, Abbas Araghchi, said there are no direct talks underway with the US. He said Hormuz will not reopen until the blockade lifts.
🇺🇸 What American readers need to know: Trump’s own officials say the administration has already met its military goals in Iran. The Pentagon is now racing to rebuild weapons stockpiles the war has drained, giving contractors three weeks to speed up production. What remains unresolved is whether the war ends with the nuclear question addressed, or simply set aside in exchange for reopened oil shipping and lower gas prices at home.
Sources: Wall Street Journal, as carried by VINnews (US — White House official quote, Trump’s private remarks to aides); Times of Israel (Israel, right-centre — IRGC conditions on Hormuz, Iranian demands); Arab News (Saudi Arabia — Rezaee’s Hormuz remarks, Supreme National Security Council appointment); Washington Post, as reported by the Jerusalem Post (US — Pentagon memo, Feinberg quote); CNBC (US — Patriot interceptor stockpile figures, CSIS estimate); Al Jazeera (Qatar, state-funded/editorially independent — Monday Trump remarks, Araghchi statement)
THREE UNRESOLVED DEATHS
Three cases of Black Mississippians who died under circumstances still unresolved by authorities have drawn sustained national, and sometimes international attention this summer. Each moved forward this week with new but incomplete answers.
Nolan Wells, 18, disappeared during a July 4 boat trip to Horn Island and was found dead two days later. The state’s official autopsy is complete, but results will not be released publicly. They go directly to a Jackson County grand jury instead, per standard practice in the district attorney’s office. A family-commissioned independent review of photos, video, and witness accounts identified a “material gap” in the timeline of Wells’ final hours. Wells’ friends said he stayed behind on the island to talk with a woman, later identified as 19-year-old Katie McCormack. McCormack’s sister disputes their account, saying Wells intended to leave with the group rather than stay.
The FBI is investigating threats made against witnesses, officials, and Wells' family — not his death, which remains under state and local jurisdiction. The bureau confirmed to ABC News that it is "working to address interstate threats" connected to the case, according to WLOX. Mississippi's public safety commissioner said the threats followed false information that spread online about Wells' death. Three people have now been charged with threatening witnesses or officials connected to the case. One is accused of threatening the judge whose son was among Wells' friends on the trip.
Khloe McDonel, 15, was reported missing in Jackson on July 18 and found shot to death in a city park two days later, on July 20. Capitol Police did not publicly identify her remains until August 6, using DNA analysis to confirm her identity. Her mother, Nekomia Quinn, told WLBT she spent 16 days searching for her daughter, unaware she had already been found. Police now say the shooting was targeted, carried out by someone close to her. No suspect has been named.
Tasia Fortune, 29, was found hanging from a tree behind a vacant home in Jackson on August 3. Investigators believe her body had already been in the tree for three to four days, pushing the likely time of death back to around the end of July, according to WAPT. The branch was high enough that a Jackson Fire Department ladder truck was needed to bring her down. The Hinds County coroner identified her body three days after it was found, on August 6. Jackson City Councilman Kenneth Stokes asked US Attorney Baxter Kruger to investigate. He cited the setting's resonance with the region's history of lynching, according to ABC News. Terence Anderson, 65, was arrested August 4 on an unrelated felon-in-possession-of-a-firearm charge. Police describe him as a person of interest in Fortune's death. A judge set his bond at $250,000. Anderson denied involvement in Fortune's death but told detectives the two had argued. Police say the two had been in a relationship, which Anderson denies. Her autopsy results remain pending.
🇺🇸 What American readers need to know: All three cases remain officially unresolved. Wells' completed autopsy is being withheld from the public until it reaches a grand jury. McDonel went unidentified for 16 days after her body was found. Fortune's autopsy results are still pending. In each case, that specific gap — more that the obvious broader pattern — is what families and local officials are now pressing on directly.
Sources: Washington Informer (US — Wells autopsy and grand jury process, family-commissioned review); NewsNation (US — Katie McCormack identification, sister’s disputed account); WLOX (US — FBI involvement, ABC News quote on interstate threats); NBC News (US — witness intimidation charges in the Wells case); WLBT (US — McDonel family account and Quinn’s search timeline; Terence Anderson arrest and Fortune investigation status); WJTV (US — McDonel “targeted” characterization, Capitol Police statement); ABC News (US — Stokes letter to US Attorney Baxter Kruger)
THE CHILDREN OF ITURI
More than 300 children have died in the Ebola outbreak spreading across eastern Congo, the United Nations said Friday. Children make up nearly a quarter of confirmed cases in the outbreak, but close to a third of all deaths, according to the UN Children’s Fund.
The outbreak, caused by the rare Bundibugyo strain, emerged in Ituri province in mid-May. It has since spread to five provinces and 49 health zones, according to the World Health Organization. The Congolese Ministry of Health reported 4,053 confirmed cases and 1,850 deaths as of last week, according to Al Jazeera’s reporting on the ministry’s own situation report. No vaccine or approved treatment exists for the Bundibugyo strain specifically.
Health officials are increasingly blunt about the outbreak’s scale. “This is already the largest Ebola outbreak in DRC’s history,” said Sania Nishtar, chief executive of the global vaccine alliance Gavi, according to Al Jazeera. She added that it could become the largest ever recorded. The World Health Organization’s vaccine advisory group met July 31 to review new trial data on Ervebo, the only licensed Ebola vaccine, to determine whether it offers cross-protection against the Bundibugyo strain. Gavi said it would make doses from its 500,000-dose stockpile available for the trial. Results are not expected for months.
The province bearing the brunt of the outbreak is also home to nearly a million people displaced by armed conflict. Women and children make up roughly 80 percent of that displaced population, according to the UN’s humanitarian coordination office.
ROTWR reported last week that the US State Department has nearly doubled its funding commitment to the response, adding $242 million after years of steep cuts to the infrastructure that detects outbreaks like this one early. The child death toll is the clearest measure yet of what that response gap has cost.
🇺🇸 What American readers need to know: The scale of Ebola’s toll on children in Congo has drawn almost no attention in American coverage this week. The US already has hundreds of millions of dollars riding on a response effort that officials themselves say is still being outpaced by the virus.
Sources: UN News (UN — child death toll, OCHA displacement figures, UNICEF data); Al Jazeera (Qatar, state-funded/editorially independent — DRC Ministry of Health case and death figures, Gavi’s Nishtar quote, Ervebo trial and stockpile details); World Health Organization (UN — five-province, 49-health-zone geographic scope)
NUMBERS AT PUBLICATION
🇮🇷 Iran: 3,636 killed
🇱🇧 Lebanon: 4,333 killed
🇮🇱 Israel: 1,200+ killed, ~5,400 wounded (includes 472 killed, 3,004 wounded in Gaza)
🇺🇸 US military: 18 killed, 687 wounded
🇵🇸 Gaza: 73,381+ Palestinians killed, 174,231 wounded
🛢️ Brent crude: $84.48/barrel
⛽ US gas: $4.01/gallon
Sources: HRANA (Iran), Lebanon MOPH, INSS (Israel), DCAS (US, disputed — see Aug 4 story), OCHA (Gaza), OilPrice.com, AAA.
“Whenever the people are well informed, they can be trusted with their own government.” — Thomas Jefferson, 1789





