Weekday morning and evening editions. Saturdays once. Good news on Sundays. All sources labeled.
I will never put the news behind a paywall. If you want to support keeping it free for everyone else, there’s a paid option. That’s all it is.
THE MEDIATOR’S PACT
Saudi Arabia, Pakistan, and Turkey signed the Mecca Joint Defence Agreement last Friday, a mutual defense pact declaring that an armed attack on any one of the three states will be treated as an attack on all three. ROTWR covered the pact’s terms and binding-obligation ambiguity in detail in Saturday’s edition. Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman hosted Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan and Pakistani Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif for the signing. The agreement builds on a bilateral defense pact Saudi Arabia and Pakistan signed last September. It names no specific threat.
Almost no one reading it took that omission at face value. Iranian officials filled in the blank themselves within hours. Ebrahim Rezaei, a member of Iran’s parliamentary national security committee, wrote on social media that Saudi Arabia should expect “the roar of our missiles” to reach the pact’s signatories, according to Iran International. A senior cleric in Qom, Alireza Arafi, told regional governments that “borrowed security and begging America for security will not save you”.
Iran’s Foreign Ministry took a cooler public line than its own parliamentarians and clerics. Spokesperson Esmaeil Baghaei said Monday that Tehran saw no reason to be concerned that the pact was directed against Iran, framing it instead as a broader shift in how the region approaches security and its relationship with Washington.
Pakistan’s balancing act deepened today. Interior Minister Mohsin Naqvi traveled to Tehran for talks with his Iranian counterpart, Eskandar Momeni, and Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi. The visit follows Momeni’s own trip to Islamabad last month. Pakistan’s Defense Minister, Khawaja Asif, told Bloomberg the US and Iran are nearing a breakthrough. “Things are shaping up again in favour of a peace arrangement or a deal,” Asif said.
Pakistan has been the indispensable broker of this entire war. Alongside Qatar, it hosted the first direct US-Iran talks in April, helped negotiate the ceasefire that followed, and brokered the Islamabad memorandum of understanding in June. Naqvi has personally traveled to Tehran multiple times over the past several months to keep that channel open.
The two roles sit uneasily together. Four days after joining a defense pact widely read as a check on Iranian power, Pakistan’s own interior minister was in Tehran claiming credit for bringing Iran and the United States closer to peace. Atlantic Council South Asia fellow Michael Kugelman noted that the Mecca agreement gives Pakistan something else, too: leverage to remind Washington of its usefulness, whether the war ends soon or explodes again.
🌍 TRANSLATOR’S NOTE: The clearest read on what the Mecca pact actually means for Iran isn’t coming from Washington or Riyadh. It’s coming from Tehran itself, and the Iranian government is not speaking with one voice. Parliamentary hardliners and a senior cleric treated the pact as an open provocation, promising retaliation in language aimed at a domestic audience. The Foreign Ministry, speaking for the state’s official position, described it as reflecting a shift in regional perceptions of security rather than a threat. That gap between Iran’s rhetorical and diplomatic tracks is the story regional outlets are following closely. It barely registers in US coverage, which has largely framed the pact as a story about Saudi Arabia and its Gulf neighbors rather than about how Tehran itself is divided on what it means.
🇺🇸 WHAT AMERICAN READERS NEED TO KNOW: A US ally just signed a mutual defense pact widely understood to deter Iran, then sent its own interior minister to Tehran days later claiming a US-Iran deal is close. Pakistan isn’t choosing a side. It’s positioning itself as indispensable to both, which gives Islamabad more leverage over how this war ends than Washington may be comfortable acknowledging.
Sources: CNN (US — Mecca agreement signing, Arafi quote, background on prior Saudi-Pakistan pact); Iran International (opposition-aligned, Saudi-connected funding — Rezaei quote); Middle East Eye (UK-based — Baghaei’s response); Middle East Eye (Asif’s quote, Naqvi’s Tehran visit); Anadolu Agency (Turkey, state-affiliated — Naqvi visit details, Pakistan-Qatar mediation history); Atlantic Council (policy analysis — Kugelman assessment)
ZAMBIA VOTES THURSDAY
Zambians go to the polls Thursday in a presidential and parliamentary election that will test President Hakainde Hichilema’s record against a fractured opposition. Hichilema, seeking a second term for the ruling United Party for National Development, faces Brian Mundubile, a former parliamentary leader running atop the Tonse-Pamodzi alliance built from remnants of the former Patriotic Front. Thirteen other candidates are also on the presidential ballot. Polls open at 6 a.m. and close at 6 p.m.
Hichilema’s case for re-election rests on the country’s finances. His government completed Zambia’s first successful G20 debt restructuring after inheriting a country in default, restored relations with international creditors, and worked with the International Monetary Fund on a reform program. Inflation has fallen from 24.6% around the 2021 election to 6.5% in June, its lowest level since 2018. The kwacha has been one of the world’s best-performing currencies this year, and growth is forecast above 4%.
Those numbers may not decide the election. Zambians experience the economy through food, transport, and electricity prices, not currency performance or inflation statistics, and the high cost of living remains the dominant concern voters raise. Zambia also remains heavily dependent on copper exports, leaving the economy exposed to global price swings that no domestic policy can fully offset.
The vote is also a test of the integrity of the process itself. A constitutional amendment passed last year shortened the window for inspecting the voter register from 90 days to 14, added new provisions allowing parties to recall sitting lawmakers, and tied 40 newly created proportional-representation seats directly to each party’s share of the presidential vote. Election analysts at the Institute for Security Studies in Pretoria have warned the changes risk letting legal maneuvering, rather than the ballot itself, shape the outcome, and that a separate requirement for candidate nomination certificates conflicts with the constitution’s own qualification standards.
Not every change cuts one way. The same reforms expanded the National Assembly’s first-past-the-post constituencies from 156 to 226 seats, and separately created 40 new proportional-representation seats reserved for women, youth, and people with disabilities, allocated based on each party’s share of the presidential vote. Those 40 seats sit on top of the 226 constituency seats, not inside them, bringing the elected chamber to 266 members, plus up to 11 more the president can appoint. The European Union and the Southern African Development Community have both confirmed observer missions for Thursday’s vote. Zambia has completed three peaceful transfers of power since restoring multiparty democracy in 1991, a record few of its neighbors can match.
Nearly 8.8 million Zambians are registered to vote, more than 4 million of them between 18 and 35. Whether Hichilema’s economic turnaround translates into votes, or whether cost-of-living frustration and a united opposition unseat him, will depend heavily on a bloc of young voters neither side can fully claim.
🌍 TRANSLATOR’S NOTE: African election-monitoring outlets are treating this vote as a genuine test of Zambia’s democratic institutions, not a foregone conclusion. The Institute for Security Studies frames the core question as whether Zambia’s electoral commission and judiciary are seen as neutral enough to survive a contested result, not simply whether the vote itself is peaceful. That framing, procedural legitimacy as the real stake rather than the headline winner, is largely absent from what little Western coverage this election has received.
🇺🇸 WHAT AMERICAN READERS NEED TO KNOW: A sitting African president with a genuine economic turnaround story, falling inflation, a strengthening currency, restored credit access, is still not guaranteed re-election, because voters are weighing what they feel at the market, not what shows up in a GDP report. It’s a pattern American readers may recognize from their own politics. This election, decided Thursday, has drawn almost no coverage in the US press.
Sources: allAfrica (Pan-African aggregator — election framing, opposition alliance structure); Businessday NG (Nigeria — economic indicators, inflation and currency data); IFES (International Foundation for Electoral Systems — voter registration figures, seat structure); ISS Africa (Pretoria-based policy institute — constitutional amendment analysis, procedural legitimacy concerns)
THE JAMESON LAND STANDOFF
Greenland’s government issued a formal warning last week to a Texas oil company with ties to President Trump’s inner circle after it moved drilling equipment onto the island’s remote eastern coast without valid authorization. A tug and barge delivered an excavator and more than a dozen shipping containers of equipment to the port of Nerlerit Inaat in the Jameson Land region on July 29 and 30. Greenland’s government confirmed the company’s prior landing permit had expired and had not been renewed.
The company, Greenland Energy, is chaired by Larry Swets, a businessman with documented ties to Trump’s political circle. This was not the operation’s first stumble. At a community meeting in Jameson Land in June, a company representative told local residents Greenland Energy already had permission to bring drilling equipment ashore. That claim was false. Swets later acknowledged the company’s enthusiasm “led us to communicate in a way that created confusion.” The Danish investigative outlet Danwatch independently confirmed with the shipping company that the July delivery was bound for Greenland Energy.
Greenland’s Ministry of Business and Mineral Resources responded on July 30 with a written statement making clear that no approval had been granted for the equipment’s movement, and that a prior authorization “has since expired and has not been renewed.” The ministry said it would not require the company to remove the equipment, calling that step disproportionate, but stated plainly that any further logistics require its consent before they happen. An application for permission remained under review.
Two days after Greenland’s rebuke, Trump posted an AI-generated image on Truth Social showing himself looming over a Greenlandic village, captioned “Hello, Greenland!”
Greenland Energy does not itself hold an oil exploration license in Greenland. The underlying rights belong to White Flame Energy, a subsidiary of the London-listed firm 80 Mile, which secured the Jameson Land license in 2015 and 2018, before Greenland imposed a moratorium on new oil permits in 2021. Under the arrangement disclosed in Greenland Energy’s corporate filings, the Texas company would fund the entire cost of up to two exploration wells, roughly $40 to $60 million, in exchange for acquiring a majority stake in the project. Greenland Energy says the Jameson Land basin could hold as much as $1 trillion worth of crude, based on an independent estimate from the geological firm Sproule ERCE of 13 billion barrels of “prospective recoverable” oil. That figure describes a geological possibility, not proof that any of it can be extracted, transported, or sold at a profit.
The regulatory timeline may not work in the company’s favor even if a permit is eventually granted. The Jameson Land site sits inside a wetland zone protected under the Ramsar Convention, an international framework covering more than 2,500 sites in 172 countries, which restricts drilling to winter months when frozen ground limits ecological disruption. But the heavy equipment can only reach the site by barge in summer, when the fjord is navigable. If the company files its full project description this month, the earliest a permit could legally arrive is November 8, well past the point any drilling could begin before winter closes the site to further shipments. Greenland Energy has said it still plans to ship 300 more containers of equipment from Canada in September, aiming to begin work in October.
Swets dismissed the controversy on social media, characterizing reporting on the episode as an attempt to manufacture a scandal around Trump while ignoring the underlying facts of the deal. The dispute unfolds against Trump’s broader, monthslong campaign to bring Greenland under American control, an effort Greenland’s prime minister has flatly rejected, and one that has already drawn protesters into the streets of Nuuk chanting for the United States to leave the island alone.
🌍 TRANSLATOR’S NOTE: Danish and Greenlandic outlets are not treating this as a story about a single company’s paperwork problem. Danwatch’s independent reporting frames it as a test of whether Greenland’s own regulatory authority can hold against a politically connected American company operating in its own backyard, with Trump’s annexation ambitions sitting directly behind it. That framing, sovereignty and precedent rather than a permitting technicality, is largely missing from the US business press, which has covered the story mainly as an energy-sector oddity.
🇺🇸 WHAT AMERICAN READERS NEED TO KNOW: A company run by someone in Trump’s political orbit moved heavy equipment onto foreign soil without permission, faced a formal government rebuke for it, and the president’s public response was to post an AI image of himself looming over the country involved. This is happening while Trump continues pressuring Greenland to become part of the United States. The company’s own timeline suggests it may not even be able to drill before winter closes its own permitted window, regardless of what Washington wants.
Sources: OilPrice.com (US, industry — expired-permit statement, Swets’ Trump ties, company pushback); Yahoo News, via The Guardian (UK — Danwatch confirmation, community meeting confusion, Swets quote, $1 trillion claim); Yahoo News, via UPI (US — Trump’s Truth Social image); TechTimes (US, industry — licensing history, Ramsar Convention restriction, permit timeline, Sproule ERCE estimate)
NUMBERS AT PUBLICATION
🇮🇷 Iran: 3,636 killed
🇱🇧 Lebanon: 4,333 killed
🇮🇱 Israel: 1,200+ killed, ~5,400 wounded (includes 472 killed, 3,004 wounded in Gaza)
🇺🇸 US military: 18 killed, 687 wounded
🇵🇸 Gaza: 73,381+ Palestinians killed, 174,231 wounded
🛢️ Brent crude: $88.84/barrel
⛽ US gas: $4.01/gallon
Sources: HRANA (Iran), Lebanon MOPH, INSS (Israel), DCAS (US, disputed — see Aug 4 story), OCHA (Gaza), OilPrice.com, AAA.
“Whenever the people are well informed, they can be trusted with their own government.” — Thomas Jefferson, 1789





