The Rest of the World Report
The Rest of the World Podcast
The Rest of the World Report | August 8, 2026 — Saturday Edition
0:00
-16:26

The Rest of the World Report | August 8, 2026 — Saturday Edition

The View From Everywhere Else

Weekday morning and evening editions. Saturdays once. Good news on Sundays. All sources labeled.

If you want to help me get RotWR to the rest of the world, please consider sharing across multiple platforms! Thanks!

Share


FORTUNE AND MCDONEL

Two young Black women were found dead in Jackson, Mississippi, this summer. Both were identified this week. Their cases are not connected. Their timing is.

Tasia Fortune, 29, was found hanging from a tree behind a vacant home on August 3. Investigators now believe she may have been in the tree for three to four days before she was found. That would place her actual death closer to July 30 or 31. Her cause and manner of death remain undetermined.

Her family broke its silence this week. Her sister, LaToni Fortune, told Mississippi Today she last saw Tasia about a month ago, when Tasia visited family in Kentucky. Nothing about that visit stood out. Her aunt, Etta Avolio, started a GoFundMe for burial costs. “Tasia was a strong-minded, big-hearted, vibrant young woman,” the fundraiser reads.

Ward 3 Councilman Kenneth Stokes has pushed hardest for answers. He sent a letter to the US Attorney’s Office asking for a federal investigation. He has also publicly questioned how she ended up high enough in the tree that firefighters needed a ladder truck to bring her down. Stokes has explicitly called her death a murder. That is his own characterization, not a police finding. Investigators still will not say whether they suspect foul play, and no incident report has been released.

Khloe McDonel, 15, disappeared on July 17. A grass-cutting crew found her body three days later at Sheppard Brothers Park, killed by a gunshot to the head. The Mississippi State Crime Laboratory did not confirm her identity until August 6, nearly three weeks after she was found. The same Hinds County coroner who handled Fortune’s case, Jeramiah Howard, also handled McDonel’s. Capitol Police are investigating her death as a homicide. No suspect has been named. Her family has also started a GoFundMe; she had no life insurance.

🇺🇸 What American readers need to know: A teenager was shot and killed, and it took three weeks for authorities to confirm who she was. A woman was found hanging from a tree, and nobody official will say how she died. Both happened in the same city, in the same summer, and neither has an answer yet.

Sources: Mississippi Today (US, independent — Fortune family account, coroner statement); WAPT (US — Fortune timeline detail, ladder truck detail, Stokes interview); TheGrio (US — Stokes letter, federal request); Yahoo (US — Stokes name and ward, GoFundMe quote); WLBT (US — McDonel case timeline, Capitol Police statement, crime lab confirmation)


THE MECCA PACT

Saudi Arabia, Pakistan, and Türkiye signed a mutual defense pact Friday. The language sounds like NATO. The actual commitment may not be.

The Mecca Joint Defence Agreement was signed by Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, and Pakistani Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif. Its core line states that an armed attack against any one of the three will be treated as an attack against all three. That phrasing echoes Article 5 of the North Atlantic Treaty. The joint statement did not specify what each country is actually obligated to do in response.

This is not the first time that exact language has been tested. Saudi Arabia and Pakistan signed a nearly identical bilateral pact in September 2025. Iran has struck Saudi Arabia repeatedly since then. Pakistan has not responded militarily. Pakistani officials told Middle East Eye the bilateral agreement does not automatically require military intervention, and that each country determines its own response based on national interest. Analysts point to several reasons for that restraint: the risk of Iranian retaliation against Pakistan itself, domestic sectarian sensitivities, economic fragility, and a military already stretched fighting the Taliban on Pakistan’s western border. What Pakistan sent instead was smaller and later. Its army chief met with Saudi Arabia’s defense minister to coordinate technical support. Thirteen thousand Pakistani troops and fighter jets arrived in Saudi Arabia only after the war’s ceasefire took hold, not during the active strikes.

Even NATO’s own Article 5 does not require automatic military action. It obligates each member to take “such action as it deems necessary,” language that has historically permitted non-military responses. The Mecca pact’s core sentence borrows that same structural flexibility, deliberately or not. Mansoor Ahmed, a defense analyst at the Australian National University, said the agreement is better understood as a framework for regional security cooperation than as a binding alliance. A Turkish government information note goes further, stating explicitly that the pact does not constitute a military alliance against any country and does not replace or supersede Türkiye’s existing NATO obligations.

None of that makes the pact meaningless. Each country still brings real capability to the table. Türkiye has NATO’s second-largest military. Pakistan is the only nuclear-armed Muslim-majority nation. Saudi Arabia brings oil wealth and regional financial influence. A Turkish official said other regional countries could eventually join, which would matter regardless of how binding any single clause turns out to be.

The joint statement offered its own reassurance on that point. Saudi Arabia’s deputy minister for public diplomacy, Rayed Krimly, said the pact “is not a threat to any country in the region.”

🌍 TRANSLATOR’S NOTE: Al Jazeera’s own coverage traces the pact’s origins back to October 2023, well before the current Iran war began. That timeline matters. It suggests this alliance was not built as a reaction to a single crisis. It was built over years, and the Iran war simply accelerated a decision these three governments had already been moving toward.

🇺🇸 What American readers need to know: This pact is being widely described as a NATO-style alliance, and the language does resemble NATO’s founding treaty. But NATO’s own Article 5 has never actually required automatic military action. The one real-world precedent for this exact language is Pakistan’s response to repeated Iranian strikes on Saudi Arabia. That response was restraint, not war. The headline commitment may be doing more rhetorical work than legal work.

Sources: CNN (US — pact terms, US alliance framing, Pakistan troop deployment); Al Jazeera (Qatar, state-funded/editorially independent — negotiation origins, Krimly quote); Middle East Eye (UK-based, pro-Palestinian editorial lean — Pakistani officials on non-automatic intervention, Ahmed analyst quote); RANE/Stratfor (US, geopolitical analysis — constraints on Pakistani intervention, army chief coordination); GlobalSecurity.org (US, defense reference — Article 5 comparison, legal ambiguity analysis); KÜRE Encyclopedia (Türkiye — Turkish government framing note, UN Charter Article 51 basis)


THE HEAT THAT KILLED THEM

A rugby player in Japan died Friday, four days after collapsing from heatstroke at practice. He is the latest athlete killed by a heat wave that scientists say could make 2026 the hottest year ever recorded.

Saimoni Vunilagi, 26, was born in Fiji and played for Kyuden Voltex in Japan’s second-division rugby league. He showed symptoms of severe heatstroke after team practice on August 3. He received treatment. He died August 7 at a hospital in Fukuoka.

Vunilagi is not an isolated case. Three rugby players in Malaysia died within a 13-day span in May and June. One of them, 22-year-old prop Azlan Azhari, collapsed five minutes after scoring a try in a domestic tournament match. He died two days later. His cause of death was heatstroke, dehydration, and organ failure. World Rugby published new heat-illness guidelines in 2025, urging cooling breaks and increased fluid intake as temperatures rise. The guidelines did not save these four players.

The heat behind these deaths is measurably historic. NOAA data shows daily high temperature records were matched or broken more than 1,500 times in the US in June alone. Roughly 82 percent of the world’s ocean surface is currently experiencing marine heat waves, according to Europe’s Copernicus climate service. Former NASA climate scientist James Hansen predicts 2026 will surpass 2024 as the hottest year on record once the full effect of an unusually strong El Niño shows up in global temperature averages. For comparison, last year’s European heat wave killed an estimated 16,500 people, with roughly 68 percent of those deaths directly attributed to climate change rather than heat exposure alone.

🇺🇸 What American readers need to know: Four professional athletes, in peak physical condition, died from heat this summer across two countries and two rugby leagues. They had medical staff, hydration protocols, and official heat guidelines available to them. None of it was enough.

Sources: Japan Rugby League One (Japan, primary source — Vunilagi timeline, cause of symptoms); Japanese Wikipedia via league records (Japan — death date and location confirmation); Bloomberg (US — Azhari case, Malaysia deaths, World Rugby guidelines); South China Morning Post (Hong Kong, editorially independent from mainland — heat and humidity context, expert quote); Bangor Daily News via AP (US — NOAA record data, Hansen prediction, Copernicus ocean data)


THE OTHER OVERNIGHT ATTACK

Russian drones killed three people, including a child, in Ukraine’s Kyiv Oblast overnight. Ukraine says it struck back at two Russian oil refineries in response.

The attack hit Brovary district, east of Kyiv, according to regional governor Tymur Tkachenko. Three people died and several others were wounded. Ukraine’s own counterstrike reportedly hit refineries in Russia’s Samara Oblast and in Krasnodar Krai in the south, according to Ukrainian monitoring channels.

The attack fits a pattern that has not slowed down this week. Russia struck Kyiv with a massive missile and drone barrage on Wednesday that killed 17 people and wounded 44, damaging residential buildings, businesses, and civilian infrastructure across the capital.

There is also a new thread connecting this to a story we reported Friday. A bus driver at Leipzig/Halle Airport kicked an explosive-laden drone out of the air while it was flying low, according to German lawmaker Detlef Seif, a member of the parliamentary interior committee. The drone crashed to the ground without detonating. Federal prosecutors have since opened a counterterrorism investigation, and German Chancellor Friedrich Merz personally held a call about the incident Friday. Saxony’s interior minister, Armin Schuster, praised the driver’s actions. He also added a warning. “It’s not a model to be emulated. Letting us know would be enough,” Schuster said. Separately, suspicious drones were sighted over a German military base days after the Leipzig incident, according to Ukrainian outlet Kyiv Independent. Leipzig/Halle serves as NATO’s main operational base for its Strategic Airlift International Solution, which uses Ukrainian Antonov cargo planes to move equipment along the alliance’s eastern flank.

🇺🇸 What American readers need to know: A child is dead in a Kyiv suburb because of an overnight drone strike, one of dozens like it this year. The war is not confined to Ukraine’s own airspace anymore. It is now showing up over a NATO member’s own military installations, just days after a live explosive was found at a German airport.

Sources: Kyiv Independent (Ukraine, independent — Brovary attack details, Tkachenko statement, refinery counterstrike, German drone sighting); NPR (US — Wednesday Kyiv barrage context); Reuters via US News (international wire — bus driver account, Seif quote, SALIS/NATO base detail); CBC (Canada, public broadcaster — Schuster quote, federal prosecutor probe, Merz call)


GAZA, BY THE NUMBERS

The United Nations released its latest cumulative accounting of Gaza’s toll this week. The scale is precise. The response to it is not.

Since October 2023, 73,381 Palestinians have been killed and 174,231 injured, according to Gaza’s Ministry of Health. Of the fatalities identified as of the end of last year, 34,078 were men, 21,283 were children, 10,983 were women, and 5,100 were elderly. On the Israeli side, more than 1,200 people have been killed, including at least 33 children, and roughly 5,400 have been injured, according to Israeli media citing official sources. Separately, 472 Israeli soldiers have been killed and 3,004 wounded since the start of the ground operation, according to Israel’s own military.

Aid workers have died in numbers rarely seen in a modern conflict. At least 596 aid workers have been killed, 393 of them UNRWA staff. More than 1,700 health workers have been killed. At least 262 journalists and media workers have been killed. At least 145 Civil Defence staff have died while on duty.

Gaza’s physical infrastructure has not recovered. Roughly 81 percent of all structures in Gaza are destroyed or damaged, according to UN satellite analysis. Nearly 372,000 of the Strip’s 485,000 housing units, more than three quarters, are destroyed or damaged. Only 309 of Gaza’s 686 health facilities are functioning at all, and just 38 of those are fully functional. The rest are partially functioning or completely offline.

Child malnutrition is getting worse, not better. More than 3,000 children between six months and five years old were admitted for malnutrition treatment in June, up from more than 2,800 in May. Severe cases rose from more than 350 in May to more than 400 in June.

The UN’s 2026 Flash Appeal for the region asks for $4.06 billion. Only 37.6 percent of that has been funded, leaving $2.54 billion unmet. Ninety-two percent of the total request is earmarked for Gaza specifically.

🇺🇸 What American readers need to know: These are not projections or estimates from an advocacy group. This is the United Nations’ own accounting, built from health ministry data, satellite imagery, and official sources on both sides. The response to a documented catastrophe of this scale is currently less than 40 percent funded.

Sources: OCHA oPt (UN primary source — casualty breakdowns, aid worker deaths, health facility functionality, housing damage); OCHA oPt (UN primary source — malnutrition trend, funding figures, Flash Appeal status)


THE CAMPS THAT DON’T REOPEN

Israel extended military closure orders on three West Bank refugee camps this week. More than 33,000 people displaced from those camps still cannot go home.

The Israeli military issued new orders July 29 extending closures in Jenin refugee camp until August 20, and in Tulkarm and Nur Shams refugee camps until September 30. The camps have been designated closure areas since early 2025. Entry and exit require a permit from an Israeli military commander. According to UNRWA, more than 33,000 Palestine refugees have been displaced from these three camps and the surrounding areas since January 2025.

Palestinian children’s access to school is also under direct threat. According to the UN’s Education Cluster, 84 schools in Area C and East Jerusalem serving nearly 13,000 students are currently subject to demolition orders. Fifty-four of those schools face full demolition. On August 4, Israeli authorities demolished three structures of a school in Masafer Yatta, despite a court hearing on the case scheduled for September 15. Separately, an UNRWA-run school in Al Walaja serving 235 students faces a demolition order dating back to 2006. A court hearing on that case is set for August 24. If the order is carried out, the village loses its only primary school.

Settler violence against Palestinian civilians continued through the same reporting period. In Al Mughayyir, a nine-year-old Palestinian child was shot with live ammunition by settlers on July 31, one of three attacks in that town on a single day. Two more attacks followed on August 1 and 2. Since the start of 2026, more than 1,380 settler-related incidents have been documented across the West Bank, an average of 6.6 per day.

🌍 TRANSLATOR’S NOTE: This entire picture comes from the UN’s own on-the-ground reporting, not from Israeli or Palestinian political statements. OCHA’s field offices document these incidents directly, and their sourcing standard requires independent verification before a demolition, closure, or attack is logged. That distinguishes this account from advocacy claims on either side of the conflict.

🇺🇸 What American readers need to know: Tens of thousands of people have been locked out of their own homes for more than a year, under military orders that keep getting extended rather than lifted. At the same time, dozens of schools serving thousands of children remain under active demolition threat. This is not a temporary security measure. It has become the ordinary condition of life in these communities.

Sources: OCHA oPt (UN primary source — camp closure orders, school demolition figures, Al Mughayyir attack, settler incident statistics)

I will never put the news behind a paywall. If you want to support keeping it free for everyone else, there’s a paid option. That’s all it is.


NUMBERS AT PUBLICATION

Sources: OCHA oPt (UN primary source — camp closure orders, school demolition figures, Al Mughayyir attack, settler incident statistics)

WAR DAY 162 | NUMBERS AT PUBLICATION

🇮🇷 Iran: 3,485+ killed (tracker base of 3,468 as of June 10 per Al Jazeera live tracker, plus at least 17 confirmed killed in US strikes July 9-10 per Iran Health Ministry — floor estimate; strikes since July 11 not yet independently confirmed)
🇱🇧 Lebanon: 4,321 killed (Al Jazeera live blog, updated July 8)
🇮🇱 Israel: 1,200+ killed, ~5,400 wounded, including 472 soldiers killed and 3,004 wounded in the Gaza ground operation (tracker frozen June 10; Gaza figures via OCHA)
🌍 Gulf states / Iraq: 131 killed (tracker frozen June 10; does not reflect Iranian strikes on Bahrain, Kuwait, Qatar, Jordan, UAE, and Oman since)
🇺🇸 US military: 18 killed, 687 wounded (Defense Casualty Analysis System, as of August 4)
🇵🇸 Gaza: 73,381+ killed, 174,231 wounded (Gaza Health Ministry, via OCHA) — see today’s Gaza story for full breakdown
🛢️ Brent crude: $83.55/barrel (OilPrice.com)
⛽ US national gas average: $4.02/gallon (AAA)

Sourcing note: Iran, Lebanon, Israel, Gulf states, and US military figures are unchanged from Day 161. Gaza figures updated this edition with a direct OCHA primary source; see today’s dedicated Gaza story for the full casualty, infrastructure, and funding breakdown.


“Whenever the people are well informed, they can be trusted with their own government.” — Thomas Jefferson, 1789

Discussion about this episode

User's avatar

Ready for more?