Weekday morning and evening editions. Saturdays once. Good news on Sundays. All sources labeled.
I will never put the news behind a paywall. If you want to support keeping it free for everyone else, there’s a paid option. That’s all it is.
THE $400 MILLION QUESTION
Israel’s Kan public broadcaster reported Tuesday that the Board of Peace’s 15-point Gaza plan would cover up to $400 million of Hamas’s outside debts as part of the group’s disarmament. The Board of Peace denied the characterization the next day.
Board of Peace envoy Nickolay Mladenov called the reports “false” in a Hebrew-language statement posted to X. He wrote that no such proposal had been discussed, negotiated, or considered, and said it would not be on the table in the future either. Hamas, he added, will have no role in governing Gaza and no access to Board of Peace funds.
The dispute centers on Clause 5 of the roadmap, which directs the incoming Palestinian technocratic body, the National Committee for the Administration of Gaza, to assess legitimate commitments to suppliers and contractors up to a $400 million ceiling. Kan read that language as debt relief for Hamas. An Arab diplomat from a mediating country told the Times of Israel the NCAG would conduct a full audit of Hamas’s books once it takes power, and that payments would go only to contractors whose work is verified as legitimate, with background checks screening out anyone tied to terrorism. A separate portion is earmarked for severance payments to Hamas civil servants not rehired by the new government.
The controversy escalated Wednesday when Yisrael Beytenu chairman Avigdor Liberman claimed Hamas’s military wing specifically would receive $160 million of the fund in cash, a more specific and inflammatory allegation than Kan’s original report. Liberman made the claim while touring the Gaza Envelope on Wednesday, including the Kerem Shalom Crossing and the site of a US base under construction nearby. He said the $160 million figure comes from an existing agreement between Hamas and the suppliers named in the plan.
A Board of Peace official pushed back on the broader characterization, arguing Hamas’s continued rule or a costly Israeli reoccupation of Gaza’s entire population are the only alternatives to the current plan. The official said the Board offers a third path: full disarmament, civilian governance, and an international security presence under American command, with oversight and verification built in.
Hamas has not been asked to comment, and no outlet covering the dispute has reported a Hamas response to this specific claim. The story so far is entirely a dispute between an Israeli broadcaster, an Israeli lawmaker, and the Board of Peace itself.
🇺🇸 What American readers need to know: A US-led peace plan is facing a live credibility fight over whether Hamas stands to benefit financially from its own disarmament. The Board of Peace says no. An Israeli broadcaster and a sitting Israeli lawmaker say otherwise, with one now alleging cash could reach Hamas’s military wing directly. Hamas itself has not weighed in on this specific claim, and nobody outside the negotiating room can currently verify either account.
Sources: Times of Israel (Israel, right-centre — Mladenov’s denial and quote, Arab diplomat’s account of NCAG audit process); Jerusalem Post (Israel, centre-right — Kan’s original report, Liberman’s $160 million claim); JNS (Israel/Jewish News Syndicate — Board of Peace official’s “third option” framing)
THE HORMUZ BILL
Iran’s parliament is advancing a sweeping bill asserting long-term control over the Strait of Hormuz, formally titled the Strategic Action to Ensure the Sustainable Security of the Strait of Hormuz and the Persian Gulf. Parliament’s National Security and Foreign Policy Committee approved the bill’s general outlines Sunday without opposition among members present. The legislation was submitted to parliament July 13 and still requires full parliamentary approval before becoming law.
The bill’s Internal Affairs and Councils Committee separately approved a provision Monday banning the transit of assets and equipment owned by the United States, Israel, and other countries Iran considers hostile. Vessels or cargo connected to actions against what Iran calls the “Axis of Resistance” would also be banned.
A committee lawmaker said countries or individuals found to have caused damage to Iran would be barred from transiting the strait until that damage is compensated. Under the proposal, Iran would manage vessel entry into the strait unilaterally, while exits would be managed jointly with Oman, with service fees charged on every vessel.
Violators would face penalties of up to 20% of their cargo’s value. Committee member Sodeif Badri said parliament is seeking a permanent legal framework rather than temporary policy, with revenue collected under the new rules directed toward security, monitoring, and development infrastructure along the waterway. The strait, Badri said, will not return to its pre-war conditions.
The legislation runs on a separate track from Iran’s ongoing talks with Oman over a narrower shipping-lane arrangement. Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi told reporters Saturday that deal is “very close,” but cautioned that reopening the strait still depends on separate conditions, including US compensation for violating the original memorandum of understanding.
The bill’s advance comes just days before the 60-day US-Iran memorandum of understanding is set to expire Sunday, adding a parallel, longer-term legal track to a negotiation that has so far been governed by temporary arrangements and shifting deadlines.
🇺🇸 What American readers need to know: Iran isn’t just negotiating a temporary reopening of the strait. Its own parliament is simultaneously writing permanent law that would ban US and Israeli vessels indefinitely and require compensation before anyone Iran considers hostile can transit at all. That’s a very different picture than a deal that quietly resolves this week.
Sources: Iran International (opposition-aligned, Saudi-connected funding — Internal Affairs Committee provision, Badri quote, penalty structure); Tribune India (India — National Security Committee outline approval); CNN (US — Araghchi’s press conference remarks, independently confirmed alongside Al Jazeera and Haaretz’s own direct coverage of the same event)
THE ELECTION CALCULUS
Israel’s military carried out a drone strike in Beit Lahiya, northern Gaza, Wednesday, targeting a man it identified as a Hamas commander. The strike came despite calls from officials involved in the broader peace process to halt such attacks while diplomacy continues.
The Israeli military did not release further information about the person targeted. Officials at Shifa and Nasser hospitals said four wounded people were brought in following the strike. Gaza’s Health Ministry said 45 people have been killed in the territory since August 1.
The strike is playing out against the backdrop of Israel’s own election, set for October 27, the first since the war began. Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, Israel’s longest-serving leader, is running again despite polling showing a majority of Israelis want him out of office. Former army chief of staff Gadi Eisenkot has emerged as his leading rival, with his centrist Yashar party polling narrowly ahead of Netanyahu’s Likud.
Israel has continued pushing deeper into Gaza rather than withdrawing from the so-called Yellow Line that divides Israeli and Palestinian-controlled territory, despite a US-led roadmap calling for a phased pullout as Hamas disarms. Palestinian political researcher Imad Abu Rahma said it is unlikely Netanyahu will carry out any withdrawal, even a partial one, or allow a technocratic committee into Gaza before the vote.
Eisenkot resigned from Netanyahu’s war cabinet in June 2024, saying the government had completely failed to achieve its objectives in Gaza. His own son was killed in the war’s opening months. Eisenkot has called for a state commission of inquiry into the October 7 attack, with members chosen independently rather than by politicians, a proposal Netanyahu’s coalition has resisted.
🇺🇸 What American readers need to know: Israel’s continued military operations in Gaza, even as peace efforts continue elsewhere, are happening alongside an election where withdrawal itself has become a liability for the prime minister’s political survival. Understanding why strikes continue right now requires understanding the election, not just the ceasefire terms.
Sources: JNS (Israel/Jewish News Syndicate — Beit Lahiya strike details); Sunday Guardian Live (India — casualty figures, Gaza Health Ministry toll); Al Jazeera (Qatar, state-funded/editorially independent — election context, Eisenkot’s resignation and background); The New Arab (UK-based, pro-Palestinian editorial lean — Yellow Line dynamic, Abu Rahma quote)
NUMBERS AT PUBLICATION
🇮🇷 Iran: 3,636 killed
🇱🇧 Lebanon: 4,333 killed
🇮🇱 Israel: 1,200+ killed, ~5,400 wounded (includes 472 killed, 3,004 wounded in Gaza)
🇺🇸 US military: 18 killed, 687 wounded
🇵🇸 Gaza: 73,381+ Palestinians killed, 174,231 wounded
🛢️ Brent crude: $87.55/barrel
⛽ US gas: $4.07/gallon Sources: HRANA (Iran), Lebanon MOPH, INSS (Israel), DCAS (US, disputed — see Aug 4 story), OCHA (Gaza), OilPrice.com, AAA.
“Whenever the people are well informed, they can be trusted with their own government.” — Thomas Jefferson, 1789





